Re: mock linguistic play and sociocultural identity... in Hong Kong

Rolfe Windward (IBALWIN who-is-at mvs.oac.ucla.edu)
Tue, 05 Dec 95 15:15 PST

Angel, the gist of your observations appear very close to some of the
creative differentiation strategies described in Social Identity Theory
(Tajfel & Turner, 1986; see Abrams & Hogg, 1990). Actually, based on some
of the case studies I've seen, the resemblance is almost uncanny (although
the synoptic character of your account could explain that). Be that as it
may, if you have more observations of the type you outlined then SIT could
supply you with some interesting and very plausible alternative
explanations.

Regards, Rolfe

Abrams, D., & Hogg, M. A. (Eds.). (1990). Social Identity Theory:
Constructive and Critical Advances. New York: Springer-Verlag.

Tajfel, H., & Turner, J. C. (1986). The Social Identity Theory of
Intergroup Behavior. In S. Worchel & W. G. Austin (Eds.), Psychology of
Intergroup Relations (2nd. ed., pp. 7-24). Chicago: Nelson-Hall
Publishers.

Rolfe Windward (UCLA GSE&IS, Curriculum & Teaching)
ibalwin who-is-at mvs.oac.ucla.edu (text)
rwindwar who-is-at ucla.edu (text/BinHex/MIME/Uuencode)
CompuServe: 70014,00646 (text/binary/GIF/JPEG)

"I respect belief, but doubt is what gets you an education." W. Mizener