Re: Agency

Angel M.Y. Lin (mylin who-is-at oise.on.ca)
Wed, 25 Oct 1995 18:57:39 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Graham,

I found something similar in my Cantonese schoolboys' data in Hong Kong
classrooms, too...

I first interpreted their utterances as self-talk... because it
seems that they didn't care whether anyone heard them or not... and there
was no follow-up responses to their utterances (which are very
interesting Cantonese-English verbal play, e.g., word puns)... but then my
supervisor argued that it might not be that straightforward... i.e., private
self-talk only...
For one thing he argued that I (the analyst) do not have
access to others' minds; nor do I have warrants to make my claim that
this is definitely "private self-talk"; second, he argued that this might
be a realm of resistance (meaning making fun of the official lesson material),
one between the public and the private in the classroom... i.e.,
"semi-publicly"...
He threw out these ideas to stimulate me to deepen my analysis...
I think it poses an interesting methodological and interpretive problem...
well, any ideas from you?

Angel