Re: Second request for refs...

vera p john-steiner (vygotsky who-is-at unm.edu)
Thu, 19 Oct 1995 09:43:46 -0600 (MDT)

Angel

we recently published an edited book, Sociocultural Approaches to
Language and Literacy, Cambridge U, Press (I co-edited it with Carolyn
Panofsky and Larry Smith. It has a long theoretical intro and some
articles about 2nd language and sign language, etc.
It might be of help to you with your disertation,
Vera
On Mon, 16 Oct 1995,
Angel M.Y. Lin wrote:

> Hi again fellow xmca-ers!
>
> This is another request for refs...
>
> I've also been looking for works that critically review current
> mainstream ESL/TESL or L2 (second/foreign language)
> learning/acquisition/teaching models, theories and methodologies,
> I've got some refs. by A. Pennycook, B. Peirce, and R. Phillipson (e.g.,
> "Linguistic Imperialism"), mainly works from a critical pedagogical
> perspective... Now I would like to ask: are there similar works, but
> from a socio-cultural or Vygotskian perspective?
>
> The reason for this request is... from my contact with my professors at
> OISE, I've noticed that those who are in mainstream L2 learning/teaching
> areas are generally more willing to listen to socio-cultural people than
> critical pedagogic people... yes, paradigm rifts... SIGH ... what I'd like
> to do is to find some common ground where both parties can meet and
> communicate...
> oh well, as my thesis committee consists of both kinds of people....!
>
> Thanks again!
>
> Angel

> Angel M.Y. Lin
> Doctoral Candidate
> Modern Language Centre
> Ontario Institute for Studies in Education
> 252 Bloor St. W., Toronto, ON M5S 1V6, Canada
> E-Mail: MYLIN who-is-at OISE.ON.CA

Vera P. John-Steiner
Department of Linguistics
Humanities Bldg. 526
University of New Mexico
Albuquerque, NM 87131
(505) 277-6353 or 277-4324
Internet: vygotsky who-is-at triton.unm.edu