Re: Hands-on/Minds-on

vera p john-steiner (vygotsky who-is-at unm.edu)
Sat, 14 Oct 1995 09:14:27 -0600 (MDT)

Dear Hiroaka,

Notebooks of the Mind is a book I published nearly 10 years ago, it has
recefA+ntly been reprinted by Harper/Collins in a paperback edition.
The book deals with the varied modalities of thinking as informed by
the notebooks, conversations, and activities of experienced thinkers.

Vera
On
Wed, 11 Oct 1995, Hiroaki Ishiguro wrote:

> Hi Vera,
>
> At 5:16 PM 95.10.9 -0600, vera p john-steiner wrote:
>
> >You are right, it is difficult to understand non-verbal modes of
> >response, semiotic mediation, etc. We frequently rely upon verbal
> >reports; but we also have ways to look at sketches (R. Arnheim examined
> >Picasso's drafts of Guernica in this way); then there are musical
> >notebooks, Beethoven's have been studies; Martha Graham's choreographic
> >notebooks are an other source.
> >These are but a few examples, see my Notebooks of the Mind for more of
> >them.
>
> What is your Notebooks of the Mind? Tell more, please.
>
> Hiroaki Ishiguro
>
>    H I R O A K I I S H I G U R O
>
> Department of Educational Psychology, Faculty of Education,
> Miyagi University of Education
> Aramaki Aza Aoba, Aoba-ku, Sendai, 980 Japan
> Phone/Fax:022-214-3523 E-mail :h-ishi who-is-at ipc.miyakyo-u.ac.jp

Vera P. John-Steiner
Department of Linguistics
Humanities Bldg. 526
University of New Mexico
Albuquerque, NM 87131
(505) 277-6353 or 277-4324
Internet: vygotsky who-is-at triton.unm.edu