Re: tools, "Far" Easterncultures, ... and Heidegger

Marie Nelson (mnel who-is-at nlu.nl.edu)
Mon, 9 Oct 1995 12:55:57 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 9 Oct 1995, Angel M.Y. Lin wrote:

> Marie, I agree with what you said, but just your word "Far" Eastern made
> my ears pop up... well, the East is not that "far" away these days... to
> say "far east" implies... well, as if we live on the "ends" of the earth!

Angel, thanks for raising my consciousness.

> The trick to this quick use of the abacus is... he's memorized a whole
> series of what I would now call "verbal protocols"! [snip]... it was
passed on to him orally from his village school
> teacher... it's a neat set of verbal formulas, almost like a poem learnt
> by heart (reminds me of David Olson's favourite topic: the oral

Fascinating. I never knew this. Interesting both that not one
tuaght me and that I never thought to pursue it far enough to find out.

Wish I'd known during those years in Japan a few of the questions I have
about learning now. :)

Marie