Re: Hands-on/Minds-on

Hiroaki Ishiguro (h-ishi who-is-at ipc.miyakyo-u.ac.jp)
Mon, 9 Oct 1995 18:16:38 -0700

Hi Francoise and Vera,

Francoise wrote:
>I don't know whether there is
>transformation without language mediation, but I do know that I
>would never attempt to describe any aspect of cognition or
>experience outside of language (without it).

>From the standpoint of a procedure for analysis of transformation, it
is easier to describe a language change in transformation than other
aspects of changes. But I think there is a pre-understanding stage
before the stage of understanding the phenomenan with language.
Many teachers tries to give the children to touch the nature before
to explain it, don't they?

Vera wrote:
>I have pondered the issue of language -only transformations for a long time.
>Many people report that images are a critical aspect of their cognitive/
>transformational processes. I myself am language-bound, but I find it hard
>to deny their reports. This is most striking among physicists, including
>the well-known quotes by Einstein.

I agree with you. How can we describe the transformation without language?
It is very important question for me. A conversational change
in front of exhibitions are good indices for understanding. However, many
visitors often see an exhibiton and act for it in silence. I think these
silent acts may increase the knowledge related with the exhibiton, which
is often not explained in language.
To see or to act is not simply equal to understand. What is different?
Hands-on/Minds-on can empower a visitor to understand the concept
with and without language.

Thank you for good interlocutors.

Hiroaki Ishiguro

P.S. Dear Francoise, I got the paper from you today. I suprized at the
quick mail. Thank you for your kindness. I am not good at French but
I try to read it. Please give me a full source about the paper.
If you would like to get our paper about a science museum, I am willing
to send it. It is a report of a preliminary investigation with my students
and written in Japanese.

   H I R O A K I I S H I G U R O

Department of Educational Psychology, Faculty of Education,
Miyagi University of Education
Aramaki Aza Aoba, Aoba-ku, Sendai, 980 Japan
Phone/Fax:022-214-3523 E-mail :h-ishi who-is-at ipc.miyakyo-u.ac.jp