re:participant observer

Hiroaki Ishiguro (h-ishi who-is-at ipc.miyakyo-u.ac.jp)
Fri, 22 Sep 1995 11:58:56 -0700

Hi Mike,

I got the mail from Sayeki-sensei and fowarded it to xmca.

>Date: Fri, 22 Sep 95 10:33:10 JST
>From: Ysayeki <ysayeki who-is-at tansei.cc.u-tokyo.ac.jp>
>To: h-ishi who-is-at gazo.ipc.miyakyo-u.ac.jp
>Subject: correction

>The basic ideas in Sayeki's anthropomorphic epistemology is to dispatch
>'kobitos' (viewpoints, or rather sense-points) to the object (thing or
>person),
>then to integrate them through inner conversations among 'kobitos' to
>make a unified sense.
>However, this kind of inner activity does not easily happen, unless the person
>has the prolepsis that the activity sphere with object or person would make
>some unknown benefit for the development of his/her indentity in the sphere.
>This kind of prolepsis, "Something good must happen to me (and others, too),
> if I have 'got into' the activity sphere (yet-to-be-recognized as a
>'community'),"
>should be initiated by the encounter and interaction with a particular
>person,
>to be called <YOU> (e.g., Mother to a baby), who is trustworthy and proleptic
>to the development of the person's self. (It is often the case that <YOU>
>initiate the dispatch of kobitos to the person, which later becomes
>reciprocal.)
>Only when the person encounter with <YOU>, he/she start dispatch kobitos
>to the variety objects/persons in the proleptic activity sphere around <YOU>.
>THE WAY TO DISPATCH KOBITOS WOULD BE JOINTLY LEARNED WITH THE <YOU>,
> TO BE A PART OF CULTURAL PRACTICE .
>The person gradually see and engage in the other persons/objects in the
>sphere behind <YOU>, thus the sphere will be extnded to be a community
>i.e., <THEY-world>.
>Person is led to participate in the community of practice through this
>encounter with <YOU>, thus the participation (formation of the identity)
>in LPP is socially and mutually constructed through the
>kobito-dispatching to the objects and persons in the proleptic sphere.
>
>Yutaka Sayeki

   H I R O A K I I S H I G U R O

Department of Educational Psychology, Faculty of Education,
Miyagi University of Education
Aramaki Aza Aoba, Aoba-ku, Sendai, 980 Japan
Phone/Fax:022-214-3523 E-mail :h-ishi who-is-at ipc.miyakyo-u.ac.jp