Re: consequences of literacy

Angel M.Y. Lin (mylin who-is-at oise.on.ca)
Mon, 11 Sep 1995 21:02:12 -0400 (EDT)

Hello Mike and fellow xmca-ers:

Yes, Keith is at OISE, and his e-mail address is: kstanovich who-is-at oise.on.ca

And he's written quite a number of articles on the cognitve
consequences of literacy, or print exposure, as defined by him; here're
some of them:

(1) Stanovich, K.E., & Cunningham, A.E. (1993). Where does knowledge come
from? Specific associations between print exposure and infomation
acquisition. _Journal of Educational Psychology_, 85, 211-229.

(2) Stanovich, K.E. & Cunningham, A.E. (1992). Studying the consequences of
literacy within a literate society: The cognitive correlates of print
exposure. _Memory and Cognition_, 20, 51-68.

(3) Stanovich, K.E. (1993). Does reading make you smart? Literacy and the
development of verbal intelligence. In H. Reese (Ed.), Advances in Child
Development and Behavior (Vol. 24, pp. 133-180). San Diego, CA: Academic
Press.

Also for your information, there is an article critiquing Keith and his
associates' research in this area by Denny Taylor in a recent issue of RRQ
(REading Research Quarterly), and there's also Keith's response to it:

(1) Taylor, D. (1994). Commentary: The trivial pursuit of reading
psychology in the "real world": A response to West, Stanovich and
Mitchell. _Reading Research Quarterly_, 29, 3, 277-288.

(2) Stanovich, K.E., & West, R.F. (1994). Reply to Taylor. RRQ, 29, 3,
290-291.

Hope this helps!
Angel

P.S., I cannot help adding that inspite of Taylor's scholarly critique of
Keith's research, I still have a great deal of respect for Keith's work:
he's a very rigorous cognitive psychologist and a very good teacher...
although from a socio-cultural-historical perspective, his pardigmatic
assumptions will prove to be "positivist", and his conceptions of
"literacy" and "print exposure" perhaps not compatible with
socio-cultural ones... I think he lives up to his own paradigmatic
standards of rigor and consistency; what will be at issue will involve
very profound differences at the level of ontology and epistemology, I guess.
Best,
Angel