[Xmca-l] Re: Unit of Analysis

Sure, not everyone agrees. I think understanding what we come to know as parts of our body as artefacts makes a lot of things comprehensible. Eating and having sex, for example, are cultural practices and through participation in these cultural practices people learn to name and identify the various parts of our body and the appropriate ways of using them. As David said, we are not born with this ability, but only natural functions. We are born without self-consciousness of any kind or any distinction between mind and body. These are culturally acquired distinctions and the use of our bodies is the cultural means of acquiring these capacities, which ultimately come to be embodied in external objects. I arrived at this conclusion (the body is an artefact) because it was necessary to make sense of the narrative of cultural psychology. But as you say, Michael, not everyone agrees. I don't know anyone in this whole story that I entirely agree with.

Note however that "mediated" has taken on a very specific meaning in the CHAT tradition, it implies artefact-use for CHAT people and in the same tradition bodies are not "artefacts." So there is tons of room for talking at cross purposes here. But mediation is something utterly ubiquitous.

http://www.ethicalpolitics.org/ablunden/index.htm
https://andyblunden.academia.edu/research