[Xmca-l] Re: Unit of Analysis

David, the germ cell of artefact-use is the use of our own body. Our various body parts are essentially artefacts.

http://www.ethicalpolitics.org/ablunden/index.htm
https://andyblunden.academia.edu/research
On 8/09/2017 12:45 PM, David Kellogg wrote:
Andy:

We're currently translating Chapter Three of pedology of the adolescent into Korean. You know that Vygotsky likes to begin at the beginning. So Vygotsky is discussing the way in which the first year of life both is and is not the same as intra-uterine development. He points out that there are three "activities" (and that is the term that he uses) that are similar.

a) Feeding. Although the child now uses animal functions perfectly well (that is, the child responds to hunger and even actively seeks milk) the nature of the child's food does not depend on these animal functions: it is still, as it was during gestation, a product of the mother's body.

b) Sleep. Although the child has periods of wakefulness and activity, the main (as opposed to the leading) "activity" is inactive sleep, and the child does not keep a twenty-four hour cycle any more than she or he did in the womb. Even the use of the twenty-four hour cycle is an adaptation to the circadian rhythm of the mother as much as the establishment of the child's own circadian rhythm.

c) Locomotion. Although the child now has space to move arms and legs, the human child doesn't use them for locomotion for many months after birth and instead depends on mother, just as a marsupial that has a morphological adaptation for this purpose would.

Vygotsky's point is that these activities are not yet mediated; if they were, then the child's discovery of her or his own ability to act upon objects ("tools") and the child's discovery of her or his ability to mean ("signs") would not have the significance that they do. Ergo, historically, genetically, developmentally there must necessarily exist activity which is not made up of mediated actions.

David Kellogg