[Xmca-l] Re: Vygotsky,Marx, & summer reading

David, I was going to let this go, but after dwelling on it for a while I think I cannot.

You are doing exactly what the various writers who were endeavouring to reconstruct Vygotsky's tradition in the 1980s did: looking at various instances of unit of analysis and listing out what you think are the essential features of this object. This is the approach which Vygotsky criticised in "The Problem of Age" in which researchers would try to define a child's environment by listing out the features - father's occupation, number of siblings, housing conditions, etc., etc., but (to use Hegel's phrase) missing the concept.

I took a different approach. Somewhat bewildered and rendered incredulous by these various lists of arbitrary features of the unit of analysis, I asked myself where it all came from. Having identified the origins of the idea in Goethe through Hegel and Marx to Vygotsky, it became possible to trace the development of the concept from one writer to the next and see what was essential in the idea even to the extent of seeing that the great writers who used it could be mistaken in this or that respect. It was to avoid this method of comparison of features that the method of analysis by units was invented.