[Xmca-l] Re: Vygotsky,Marx, & summer reading

Greg, I apologise if I express irritation rather than joy in responding to your questions. I must be fulfilling my destiny to be a grumpy old man. But I think a good scholar is often well advised to ignore what comes into their peripheral vision and keep focused on their task ... especially if they are struggling to complete their PhD.

But as to your questions. "Child development" I take to be the passage through that series of culturally-specific identities (or roles) through which a new born child makes its way to becoming an adult citizen of the community in the given cultural formation. Vygotsky deals with it in the articles collected in v. 5 of his CW like "The Problem of Age." Vygotsky's work on "Personality development" is known to English speakers through the lecture "The problem of the Environment" and is concerned with the unique way in which an individual person deals with the world around them. Actually, Chapter 5 of A N Leontyev's "Activity, Consciousness and Personality" rather imperfectly continues this work. It is self-evident that these two domains of research overlap and the two units mentioned are likewise closely interlocked. The concepts dealt with in "child development" cease to be relevant as the person reaches adulthood, whereas personality development (thank goodness) goes on throughout life. There is no requirement that different "germ cells" mark out mutually exclusive domains of research.

As to your second message, on list, The "germ" in "germ cell" seems to have entered discourse with the Activity Theorists; I'm not sure whether it was Davydov or Engestrom, maybe someone else can tell us. But it is "germ" as in "germinate", simply emphasising the biological origins of this concept, anticipated by Goethe prior to the "cell" being discovered by the use of powerful microscopes in 1839 - that simple piece from which the whole organism can re-grow itself. Marx used the expression: "economic cell-form" for example.