[Xmca-l] Re: Отв: Отв: Re: Ilyenkov, Marx, & Spinoza

Dear David

Please could you explain a bit more your (and/or Vygotsky's) argument against conventionality, and what you mean by "natural" in this context? I don't understand how the blackbird example fits.

I have three problems with the blackbird example:

1. Russian has no word for blackbird.

Russian uses the phrase чёрный дрозд, literally, "black thrush", so it seems strange for Vygotsky to use the word "blackbird" as an example. If you were reading in English translation, perhaps the translator was taking liberties?

2. black + bird does not imply blackbird.

Not all black birds are blackbirds; not all blackbirds are black birds. In British English, blackbird refers specifically to the Turdus merula; in American English, blackbird refers to any of a number of small birds --- the so-called New World blackbirds --- none of which is the Turdus merula (and not all of which are black birds, e.g. the yellow-shouldered blackbird). Other black birds --- e.g. crows, rooks and ravens --- are not blackbirds at all.

3. As you put it, "other languages do it differently".

Your argument about "black" + "bird" only applies to English. The French for blackbird is not "noiroiseau" or even "oiseaunoir", but "merle" (from the Latin merula, which isn't black+bird either).

The half-enculturated German child might see a blackbird and use the phrase "schwarz Vogel", but a slightly-more-enculturated German child would use the German word for blackbird, which is "Amsel".

Putting #1 aside, the limitations and variations in #2 and #3 can be explained by looking at the history of the communities using the term. But surely convention is an artefact of history, so a historical explanation would be closer to "conventionality" than "nature". The only non-conventional aspect I can see is the geographical distribution of Turdus merula (basically Europe, New Zealand and a bit of Eastern Australia).

Best wishes

Ivan