[Xmca-l] Re: Hegel on Action

James, I think you're using "material" in some specific sense which is unknown to me. It seems to me to be something to do with body language as opposed to speech, maybe practical consciousness rather than discursive consciousness. "Material" understood as meaning "made of matter" would simply be the opposite of "in my imagination". I find it difficult to get my head around the idea of a "sign in the mind" and if "mind" was some place other than the material world where a sign could be located. I'm sure what you are talking about is perfectly good, but I can't relate it to the absolutely basic ontological issue which you raised out of my paper about action.