[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

[Xmca-l] Re: Happy New Year and Perezhivanie!



Larry, I think that the one-substance approach provides a useful lenses to see units of analysis (in Vygotsky's sense of unit) as self-moving, self-generating units. Not that Vygotsky had not been clear about this already, but as a means to emphasise this. It forces the analysis to abandon mechanistic explanation in pro of a wholistic account, which precisely requires *differentiating* without dissembling into elements. Thus, differentiation has to be made not in terms of *elements* of what otherwise exists as a ​unity, such as for example dividing meaning from activity, but of dynamic changes between them, such as for example accounting for how a changing activity IS changing "meaning" (where "to be" is to be heard as an "unity/identity" in the dialectical sense).


In our article, we offer a genetic account in which the way a person (a primary school student) experiences one and the same object (a cube) is made possible by, or more rightly, is genetically connected to a prior relation with another person (with a teacher). In that prior relation, experiencing one object (a cube) as a member of a class of objects (a member of the class "cubes") exists in and as the relation: the different moment fall not within one or the other person, teacher or student, but is distributed through both in the irreducible act of conversation. ​The student cannot intend the relation to the cube as a cube, but she can BE part of the relation in which the cube is marked and remarked as cube. BEING a part of that relation is not something she can intend or could possibly intend intellectually; whatever competences are involved in making it possible the relation between teacher and student, these are at the heart of the possibility of the cube to emerge as a mathematical body in the girl's consciousness, and these competences cannot be reduced to the intellect. Now. If we wanted to say that the SIGN [cube] has mediated the girls' understanding of [cube], then we should acknowledge that that SIGN is not a thing, but a relation between two persons. But the sign then is not something between things, or even between persons; it really and concretely is a relation between people that has to be accounted for empirically, such that saying that it is a sign is just a remark that it needs to be explored, not the final moment of the analysis; if anything, it should mark the starting point of the inquiry.


I very much like Haydi's point that the sign relation NEEDS TO BE DONE. There are however critiques, from a Vygotskian perspective, to Vygotsky's last remark that first was the deed: "if the deed were not the word at the beginning, it cannot become the word at the end" (see Mikhailov, 2001). Of course, all this makes sense to me if word, and sign, is understood as a dialogical relation.


Alfredo

________________________________
From: lpscholar2@gmail.com <lpscholar2@gmail.com>
Sent: 08 January 2017 18:30
To: Alfredo Jornet Gil; Andy Blunden; Peter Smagorinsky; eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity; Larry Purss
Subject: RE: [Xmca-l] Re: Happy New Year and Perezhivanie!

So ... Moving to these more subtle nuanced shadings in this months special issue, in what ways does this months article answer Marc’s critique of having ‘an’ experience (as a unit) in a way that moves beyond  becoming an ‘undifferentiated whole’?
This seems to be a key moment of ‘our’ thinking in the Deweyan sense :

Thinking goes on in trains of ideas, but the ideas form a train only because they are much more than what an ‘analytic psychology’ calls ideas. They are phases, emotionally and practically ‘distinguished’ of a developing underlying quality .... Subtle shadings of a PERvading and developing hue.

(quoted from page 115 of your and Roth’s 2013 article).



Sent from my Windows 10 phone

From: Alfredo Jornet Gil<mailto:a.j.gil@iped.uio.no>
Sent: January 7, 2017 4:43 PM
To: lpscholar2@gmail.com<mailto:lpscholar2@gmail.com>; Andy Blunden<mailto:ablunden@mira.net>; Peter Smagorinsky<mailto:smago@uga.edu>; eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity<mailto:xmca-l@mailman.ucsd.edu>; Larry Purss<mailto:lplarry@live.com>
Subject: Re: [Xmca-l] Re: Happy New Year and Perezhivanie!


Thanks Larry; I also think our current understanding as elaborated in the MCA 2016 special issue is more nuanced; ​and less susceptible of Marc's critique of it becoming an undifferentiated whole that becomes un-studiable.

Alfredo

From: lpscholar2@gmail.com <lpscholar2@gmail.com>
Sent: 08 January 2017 01:25
To: Alfredo Jornet Gil; Andy Blunden; Peter Smagorinsky; eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity; Larry Purss
Subject: RE: [Xmca-l] Re: Happy New Year and Perezhivanie!

Alfredo, i will attempt to stay within ‘an experience’ and as the ‘working over an experience’.
If i may, i will borrow your word meaning where you use the word (perfuse) as it helps me listen into David and Andy explore the contrast of ‘word’ and ‘word meaning’ as units.
On page 113 of your and Roth’s article you focus in on affect. In your words you say :

Affect is neither something separate from the unit nor a factor that influences or characterizes a part of this unit : It PERFUSES the unit. The unit you refer to is experience/perezivanie. This minimal unit includes all individuals, their social/material setting, and the TRANS-actional relations that BIND them into a whole.

I hope this is staying within the bounds of exploring having AN experience as a unit ; -)

Sent from my Windows 10 phone

From: Alfredo Jornet Gil<mailto:a.j.gil@iped.uio.no>
Sent: January 7, 2017 12:24 PM
To: Andy Blunden<mailto:ablunden@mira.net>; Peter Smagorinsky<mailto:smago@uga.edu>; eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity<mailto:xmca-l@mailman.ucsd.edu>; Larry Purss<mailto:lplarry@live.com>
Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: Happy New Year and Perezhivanie!

Larry, all,

our arguments in the 2014 address a science education literature in which the constructivist perspective is the leading perspective; We note that the assertion that people learn from experience is everywhere taken for granted but nowhere accounted for. We resort to pragmatist and phenomenological literature along with Vygotsky's insights to point out the need to account for learning as something that cannot be the result of an individual's construction; in experience there is always something in excess of what you intended, and this is a basic feature of doing, of performing. I take that to be your "trans" in the trans/zhivanie word, Larry, which already is denoted in the word PERezhivanie.

But I do not wish to move our discussion too far away from Marc's paper and the Perezhivanie special issue. We also risk disengaging many that have not have the privilege we've had to have the time to read so many articles in just few days into the new year. I think we are a point in the discussion where a pretty clear point of agreement/disagreement, and therefore of possibility for growth, has been reached with regard to the view of perezhivanie as "an experience" and as the "working over it". I think that to allow as many as possible to follow, and hopefully also engage, I think it will be helpful to bring the diverse perspectives and theoretical accounts to matter in accounting for some actual material. And there are a number of cases described in the articles, including Marc's case of a teacher, as well as everyday facts, such as those brought by Beth, and in Beth's article...

I take the task for myself too, but Saturday morning need to attend to other things!
A



________________________________________
From: xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu <xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu> on behalf of lpscholar2@gmail.com <lpscholar2@gmail.com>
Sent: 07 January 2017 18:26
To: Andy Blunden; Peter Smagorinsky; eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity; Larry Purss
Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: Happy New Year and Perezhivanie!

Andy, Peter, i hope the intention to move beyond politeness to struggle with this topic materializes.
In this vein i want to introduce exploration of the ‘excess’ of actual over intended meaning as he sketched his introduction to ‘experience’.

Citing Dewey, Alfredo says that this excess of actual learning over intended learning INCLUDES what Dewey refers to as ‘attitudes’ and these ‘attitudes’ are FUNDAMENTALLY what count in the future.
Alfredo and Roth  then add this summary statement :

There is therefore, a need to theorize experience in terms that do not assume control and rationality as the sine qua non of learning. It also implies a need to develop analytical accounts that retain the ‘uncertainty’ that is an ‘integral part’ of human experience.

Where are Alfredo and Roth leading us with this sketch of experience? To highlight ‘attitudes’ that occur in the excess of actual over intended learning? The word ‘attitudes’ generates images of (atmosphere) and (moods) that ‘flow’ like cascading waterfalls that can be imaged as (force) or as (receptive). Attitudes that flow to places where they are received within a certain attitude of care and concern. Not as forceful an image as moving only  with control and rationality.  Describing ‘weaker’ thought that remains uncertain but that also opens us to the other’s peril and plight. Possibly a post-analytic motion that exceeds the intended by living-through the actual that develops ‘attitudes’ that are fundamentally what count for the future.


Sent from my Windows 10 phone

From: Andy Blunden
Sent: January 7, 2017 5:00 AM
To: Peter Smagorinsky; eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: Happy New Year and Perezhivanie!

OK Peter, what you say is all very true I am sure, but it
entails conflating activity and action (as mass nouns) and
context and mediation, and makes the required distinction
much like one could find multiple meanings for the word
"and" by listing the different phrases and clauses which can
be linked by "and."

Andy

------------------------------------------------------------
Andy Blunden
http://home.mira.net/~andy
http://www.brill.com/products/book/origins-collective-decision-making

On 7/01/2017 11:42 PM, Peter Smagorinsky wrote:
>
> Let me try to illustrate.
>
> Reading as mediated action: The cultural-historical
> context of reading mediates how one’s attention and
> response are channeled in socially constructed ways. So,
> in one setting, say at home or reading in the company of
> friends, a novel might bring a reader to tears, or invite
> readers to share personal stories that parallel those of
> the plot lines, or laugh out loud. But another setting, a
> formal school or university class, would have historical
> values and practices that mute emotional and personal
> responses, and promote a more sober, analytic way of
> reading and talking that fits with specific historical
>  critical conventions and genres, and discourages others.
>
> Reading as mediating action: The act of reading can be
> transformational. In reading about an talking about a
> character’s actions, a reader might reconsider a value
> system, become more sympathetic to real people who
> resemble oppressed characters, etc. In other words,
> reading a text may serve a mediational process in which
> textual ideas and exemplars enable a reader to think
> differently.
>
> *From:*Andy Blunden [mailto:ablunden@mira.net]
> *Sent:* Saturday, January 7, 2017 6:28 AM
> *To:* Peter Smagorinsky <smago@uga.edu>; eXtended Mind,
> Culture, Activity <xmca-l@mailman.ucsd.edu>
> *Subject:* Re: [Xmca-l] Re: Happy New Year and Perezhivanie!
>
> Can you explain in a paragraph or two,. Peter, rather than
> asking us all to read 10,000 words to extract an answer?
>
> Andy
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Andy Blunden
> http://home.mira.net/~andy <http://home.mira.net/%7Eandy>
> http://www.brill.com/products/book/origins-collective-decision-making
>
>
> On 7/01/2017 11:23 PM, Peter Smagorinsky wrote:
>
>     Andy and others, I tried to work out the mediated/mediating question in the area of reading....see if this helps.
>
>     Smagorinsky, P., & O'Donnell-Allen, C. (1998). Reading as mediated and mediating action: Composing meaning for literature through multimedia interpretive texts. Reading Research Quarterly, 33, 198-226. Available athttp://www.petersmagorinsky.net/About/PDF/RRQ/RRQ1998.pdf
>
>     -----Original Message-----
>
>     From:xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu
>     <mailto:xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu>  [mailto:xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu] On Behalf Of Andy Blunden
>
>     Sent: Friday, January 6, 2017 7:12 PM
>
>     To:xmca-l@mailman.ucsd.edu <mailto:xmca-l@mailman.ucsd.edu>
>
>     Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: Happy New Year and Perezhivanie!
>
>     I have never understood this supposed distinction, Alfredo, between "mediated activity" and "mediating activity" given that all activity is mediated and all activity mediates.
>
>     Also, could you spell out what you mean by the "tension"
>
>     between perezhivanie as meaning and perezhivanie as struggle.
>
>     Andy
>
>     ------------------------------------------------------------
>
>     Andy Blunden
>
>     http://home.mira.net/~andy <http://home.mira.net/%7Eandy>
>
>     http://www.brill.com/products/book/origins-collective-decision-making
>
>     On 5/01/2017 6:26 PM, Alfredo Jornet Gil wrote:
>
>         Thanks Marc for your careful response.
>
>         I am familiar to Vygotsky's notion of cultural mediation and I am aware and acknowledge that it was elaborated as a means to overcome dualism, and that it is not analog to a computational approach.
>
>         When I brought the computing analogy, I did so with regard not to the concept of cultural mediation in general, but to the way it can be (and is) deployed analytically. I react to what it seems to me a dichotomy between a "meaning" as something that is static (thereby a form of "representation" or reflection of the relation with the environment instead of​refraction)​​  and the experiencing-as-struggling, which is described as​transformation or change. If so, mediation here would seem to be part of a methodological device that first dissects "a type of meaning" from "a type of activity" (or a given state from the process that changes that state), and then unites it by adding the term "mediation." And this may be my misreading, but in that (mis)reading (which perhaps is mostly due to the fact that in your empirical illustration only the initial and end product, i.e., perezhivanie, are described, but not the experiencing-as-struggle, that is, the moving between the two), mediation here seems to do as analytical concept precisely what you were afraid our monism was doing: explaining nothing. Only the end products but not the process of producing perezhivanie are revealed. This may be problematic if one attends to what Veresov argues in the paper I shared yesterday, where he defends the notion of mediation but also specifies that Vygotsky speaks of *mediating activity* (as opposed to *mediated* activity). That is, not mediation by signs as products, but mediating activity as the activity of producing signs (which again is an activity of producing social relations, perhaps what you refer as "holistic meanings"?). What do you think?
>
>         I did not think you were trying to deny the influence of Spinoza, and I do not think we ever said that Perezhivanie was primarily a move from Cartesian Dualism to Monism, as you suggest in your post. I copy and paste from my prior post:  "The fact is that Vygotsky was building a theory on the unity of the affect and the intellect that was to be grounded on Spinoza, and what we try to do is to explore how perezhivanie, as a concept being developed during the same period (but not finalised or totally settled!), could be seen from the perspective of the Spinozist Vygotsky."
>
>         I totally believe that bringing the distinction between perezhivanie as meaning, and perezhivanie as struggle, is totally relevant, and Beth Ferholt's vignettes of Where the Wild Things Are do indeed illustrate this. We really need to address this tension, which as Beth's examples and as our own everyday experience shows, is a tension that matters not just to books and to theories but to living persons (children, teachers), a tension that moreover is present and mentioned in all the articles of the symposium. The papers offer different proposals, and I think is so great we have the chance to discuss them! I too, as you, am very interesting in hearing others about the questions you had concerning sense and meaning.
>
>         Alfredo
>
>         From:xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu
>         <mailto:xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu>
>
>         <xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu>
>         <mailto:xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu>  on behalf of Marc Clarà
>
>         <marc.clara@gmail.com> <mailto:marc.clara@gmail.com>
>
>         Sent: 04 January 2017 22:31
>
>         To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
>
>         Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: Happy New Year and Perezhivanie!
>
>         Thank you very much, Alfredo, for sharing this excellent paper by
>
>         Veresov, and thanks also for your responses, which really helped me to
>
>         better understand your points. My main doubt about your proposal
>
>         was/is caused by the statement that the idea of cultural
>
>         mediation/mediator implies a cartesian dualism. This shocks me
>
>         because, to me, the idea of cultural mediation is absolutely crucial
>
>         (in fact, the keystone) for the construction of a monist (and
>
>         scientific) psychology that does not forget mind –that is, a cultural
>
>         psychology. From your response, however, I realized that we may be
>
>         approaching the idea of mediation in different ways. I talk of
>
>         mediation and mediators in a quite restricted way. The starting point
>
>         of my understanding of mediation is a dialectical relationship
>
>         (organic, transactional) between the subject and the world (Vygotsky departs from the scheme stimulus-response, from reflexology).
>
>         This relationship, that Vygotsky calls primitive psychological
>
>         functions, would be basically biological. However, in human beings
>
>         this relationship is mediated by cultural means: signs and tools; or
>
>         primary, secondary and terciary artifacts. These cultural means
>
>         reorganize the primitive functions (dialectic S-O relationship), which
>
>         become then higher psychological functions (S-M-O) (see for example,
>
>         The problem of the cultural development of the child, in The Vygotsky
>
>         Reader). Now, the subject, the cultural mediators, and the object form
>
>         an inseparable dialectical unit, so that the subject acts on
>
>         (transforms) the object through the prism of the cultural mediators,
>
>         the object acts on (transforms) the subject also through the prism of
>
>         the cultural mediators, and the cultural means are themselves also
>
>         transformed as a consequence of their mediation in this continuous
>
>         dynamic dialectical tension. Here, for me, it is important the idea
>
>         that the cultural means are as material (if we assume a materialist
>
>         monism) as all the rest of the world; in fact, are parts of the
>
>         material world which become signs or tools (and can be therefore
>
>         socially distributed). This permits the introduction of the scientific
>
>         study of mind-consciousness (as mediating systems of signs), because
>
>         mind is not anymore something immaterial and unobservable, but it is
>
>         as material and observable as the rest of the natural world. It is
>
>         from this view that, for me, the idea of cultural mediation is the
>
>         keystone of a monist psychology that includes mind. Thus, when I speak
>
>         of mediators, I refer to the cultural means which mediate in the S-O
>
>         dialectics; I am especially interested in signs/secondary artifacts.
>
>         Here, it is perhaps necessary to insist that when I talk of studying
>
>         mediators (and their semantic structure), this doesn't mean that they
>
>         are taken out from the activity (the flux of live) in which they
>
>         mediate (since out of activity they are not signs anymore); here, I
>
>         think Vygotsky tries again to overcome another old dichotomy, the
>
>         functionalism-structuralism one. I hope that all this makes also clear the difference between this view and that of computational psychologies (which in general are profoundly and explicitly dualist and not dialectic).
>
>         Back to perezhivanie, I'm not obviously trying to deny the influence
>
>         of Spinoza on Vygotsky's thinking (this is explicit in Vygotsky's
>
>         writings, especially in “The teaching about emotions”, in the Vol.6 of
>
>         the Collected Works). But I have doubts that Vygotsky's introduction
>
>         of the concept of perezhivanie is to be regarded primarily as a
>
>         movement towards monism (from a previous cartesian dualism), and that
>
>         this movement questions the concept of cultural mediation. Instead,
>
>         and I think that this is in line with some of González-Rey
>
>         observations in his paper, my impression is that the introduction of
>
>         the concept of perezhivanie responds more to a movement (a further
>
>         step) towards holism (something that, in my understanding, can also be
>
>         found in Spinoza). Thus, I think that the word meaning is still the
>
>         unit of analysis in the last Vygotsky -and therefore, the idea of
>
>         cultural mediation is still crucial (in fact, in The problem of the
>
>         environment, he connects the concept of perezhivanie, which has just
>
>         introduced, to the development of word meaning [p.345-346, also cited
>
>         in my paper]). However, in my view, in the last Vygotsky the focus is
>
>         not anymore primarily on the word-meaning as formed for things (or
>
>         collections of things, as in the ontogenetic research with Sakharov), but the focus is now in the formation of meaning for holistic situations.
>
>         Best regards,
>
>         Marc.
>
>         2017-01-03 19:16 GMT+01:00 Alfredo Jornet Gil<a.j.gil@iped.uio.no> <mailto:a.j.gil@iped.uio.no>:
>
>             Hi Marc, all,
>
>             thanks for joining and for your interesting work, which I follow
>
>             since I became aware of it. I appreciate the way in your paper you
>
>             show careful and honest attention to the texts of the authors
>
>             involved, but perhaps most of all I appreciate that the paper makes
>
>             the transformational dimension related to struggle and change
>
>             salient, a dimension all papers deemed central to perezhivanie. And I
>
>             have learned more about Vasilyuk by reading your paper. But I also
>
>             see that we have approached the question of perezhivanie differently
>
>             and I think that addressing the questions that you raise concerning
>
>             our article may be a good way to both respond and discuss your paper.
>
>             I am aware that our use of the term monism may be problematic to
>
>             some, and N. Veresov, who has recently written about this (see
>
>             attached article), warns against the dangers of simply moving from
>
>             dualism into an undifferentiating monism that relativizes everything,
>
>             making development un-studiable. This seems to be the way in which
>
>             you have understood our argument, and of course this is not what we are or want to be doing.
>
>             Probably many will think that *dialectical materialism* rather than
>
>             monism is the proper term, and I could agree with them; we do in fact
>
>             use dialectical materialism there and elsewhere. Yet, we wanted to
>
>             emphasise the Spinozist influence (an influence that also runs
>
>             through Marx) and so we found it appropriate to use the term monism,
>
>             a term that Vygotsky uses before arguing that Spinoza "develops an essentially materialistic view"
>
>             (Collected Works, Vol. 6, p. 124). For us, the aim is working out
>
>             ways to empirically examine and formulate problems in ways that do
>
>             not reify a mind-body dualism.
>
>             Although overcoming dualism is foundational to the CHAT paradigm, I
>
>             would however not say that Vygotsky did get to solve all of the
>
>             problems that Cartesian dualism had created for psychology, even
>
>             though he recognised those problems brilliantly as early as in the
>
>             "Crisis". It should suffice to cite Vygotsky's own remarks, which we quote in the paper (and which A.N.
>
>             Leont'ev mentions in the introduction to the collected works), where
>
>             Vygotsky explicitly critiques some of his own prior ideas for failing
>
>             to overcome dualism. We agree with those who, like F. G. Rey, see
>
>             Vygotsky's project as a developing rather than as a finalised one.
>
>             The fact is that Vygotsky was building a theory on the unity of the
>
>             affect and the intellect that was to be grounded on Spinoza, and what
>
>             we try to do is to explore how perezhivanie, as a concept being
>
>             developed during the same period (but not finalised or totally
>
>             settled!), could be seen from the perspective of the Spinozist Vygotsky.
>
>             As you note, in our article we argue that, if one takes the Spinozist
>
>             one-substance approach, classical concepts used in non-classical
>
>             psychology, at least in the way they are commonly used in the current
>
>             literature, should be revised. One such concept is mediation. And I
>
>             personally do not have much of a problem when mediation is used to
>
>             denote the fundamental fact that every thing exists always through
>
>             *another*, never in and of itself. But I do think that it is
>
>             problematic to identify MEDIATORS, such as "a meaning", as a means to
>
>             account for or explain developmental processes and learning events,
>
>             precisely because it is there, at least in my view, that dualism creeps in.
>
>             For example, I find it paradoxical that you are concerned that our
>
>             monist approach risks turning perezhivanie into a useless category
>
>             because it may be used to explain everything and nothing, and yet you
>
>             do not seem to have a problem using the term mediation to account for
>
>             the transformation of perezhivanie without clearly elaborating on how
>
>             mediation does change anything or what it looks like as a real
>
>             process. How is it different saying that a perezhivanie mediates the
>
>             experiencing-as-struggle from simply saying that it "affects" or
>
>             "determines" it? Indeed, if perezhivanie mediates
>
>             experiencing-as-struggle, does not experiencing-as-struglgle too
>
>             mediate perezhivanie? And do not both may be said to mediate development, or development mediate them? Is not this explaining everything and nothing?
>
>             I do believe you can argue that there is a difference between
>
>             mediation and classical psychology's cause-effect relations, but to
>
>             show this you need to dig into the dialectical underpinnings of the
>
>             theory. In your paper, you offer a nice analysis of a lovely case of
>
>             a teacher who, in dealing with a challenge with one of her students,
>
>             changes her perezhivanie. I think you can rightly argue that there is
>
>             a semiotic transformation, and I fully support your statement that by
>
>             studying discourse we can empirically approach questions of
>
>             psychological development. The contradictions you show as being
>
>             involved and resolved resonate really well with what I experience as
>
>             a parent or as a teacher in the classroom. Yet, without unpacking
>
>             what this "mediation" taking place between one perezhivanie and the
>
>             next one means as a concrete and real, the same analysis could be done taking an information processing approach:
>
>             there is an situation that is processed (represented?) in one way,
>
>             which then leads to a (cognitive) dissonance, and then there is a
>
>             cognitive resolution by means of which the situation is presented
>
>             differently in consciousness (indeed, when seen in this way, the term
>
>             perezhivanie and the term "representation" become almost
>
>             indistinguishable). How is mediation, as an analytical concept,
>
>             helping here? And most importantly to the question of perezhivanie,
>
>             how is this analysis going to show the internal connection between
>
>             intellect and affect that Vygotsky formulates as constitutive of the notion of perezhivanie?
>
>             I believe that the key lies in understanding what Vygotsky means when
>
>             he says that perezhivanie is a unit of analysis. I will not repeat
>
>             here what already is written in at least a couple of the articles in
>
>             the special issue (Blunden, ours), that is the difference between
>
>             analysis by elements and unit analysis (Vygotsky 1987). A unit
>
>             analysis approach is consistent with Spinoza, for whom cause-effect
>
>             explanations were not adequate, requiring instead an understanding of
>
>             self-development, perezhivanie as a kernel cell for the development
>
>             of personality. And I think you may be after this in your article in
>
>             suggesting a form of continuous movement from perezhivanie to
>
>             experiencing-as-struggle. But perhaps the major difficulty I find is that, in positing Vygotsky's perezhivanie as "a type of meaning"
>
>             and Vasilyuk's perezhivanie (or experiencing-as-struggle) as a "type
>
>             of activity," it is difficult not to see here a division between
>
>             product and process, a division that then is analytically bridged by
>
>             the addition of a third term, mediation, that should bring back the
>
>             real movement between the product and the process.
>
>             A different approach involves considering the concrete extension of
>
>             actual living and lived social relations, and look at them as
>
>             generative phenomena. What is there in the encounter between Carla
>
>             and the child that leads to change? For it is not inside the mind,
>
>             but in real life, in consciousness as the real relation between people, that Carla is changed.
>
>             How is the semantic structure that you nicely present and attribute
>
>             to Carla a product of the social relation between her and the child?
>
>             I think that to rightfully situate perezhivanie as a concept in a
>
>             Vygotskian framework, we ought to address its relation to the genetic
>
>             law of development.
>
>             There is much more to disentangle, but this is long enough. I hope I
>
>             have succeeded in making clear these ideas. Thanks so much for
>
>             engaging in the discussion!
>
>             Alfredo
>
>             ________________________________________
>
>             From:xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu
>             <mailto:xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu>
>
>             <xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu>
>             <mailto:xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu>  on behalf of Marc Clarà
>
>             <marc.clara@gmail.com>
>             <mailto:marc.clara@gmail.com>
>
>             Sent: 02 January 2017 22:14
>
>             To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
>
>             Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: Happy New Year and Perezhivanie!
>
>             Hi, all, and thank you so much, Alfredo, for your kind invitation to
>
>             participate in this discussion. My paper in the MCA special issue
>
>             focuses on a distinction between a type of activity, which I argue
>
>             that is what Vasilyuk called *perezhivanie* (experiencing) and a type
>
>             of semiotic mediator, which I argue that is what Vygotsky, in The
>
>             Problem of the Environment, called *perezhivanie.* I argue, following
>
>             Vasilyuk, that in experiencing activities (Vasilyuk's perezhivanie),
>
>             this type of mediator is profoundly transformed – in fact, that
>
>             experiencing activities consist of the semiotic transformation of this type of mediator.
>
>             As Veresov and Fleer argue in their commentary, perezhivanie (as a
>
>             type of
>
>             mediator) is for me a psychological phenomenon, one which is of
>
>             course conceptualized from a specific theoretical framework. But the
>
>             phenomenon is also visible from other theoretical frameworks as well,
>
>             as I mention in the paper. This phenomenon is my main interest, and
>
>             it is from this interest that I arrived at the concept of perezhivanie (not the other way around).
>
>             Now, the phenomenon is that at least emotion, reasoning, and volition
>
>             (formation of conscious purposes) seem to be decisively mediated by
>
>             holistic situational meaning. My current research concern is trying
>
>             to find ways to study and understand how this mediation occurs and
>
>             how these semiotic mediators are transformed and distributed. From
>
>             this view, I think that experiencing activities (Vasilyuk's
>
>             perezhivanie) may provide a good terrain to study these issues
>
>             (especially regarding the mediation of emotion), as I tried to exemplify in the paper.
>
>             Studying semiotic mediation, however, is of course not easy.
>
>             Following Vygotsky, I assume that extended discourse is the
>
>             manifestation of thinking within certain psychological conditions
>
>             (Vygotsky's Thinking and Speech, chapter 7), and I also assume the
>
>             Vygotsky's law of the unity of the structure and function of thinking
>
>             (Vygotsky's Thinking and Speech, chapter 6). From these two
>
>             assumptions, I propose that meaning (and its functions in human
>
>             activity) can be scientifically studied by structurally analyzing the
>
>             narratives generated by subjects, considering that the discourse
>
>             produced in the narrative is the point of departure of this study,
>
>             but that considerable analytical work must be done to move from this
>
>             discourse to the full characterization of meaning. It is in that
>
>             point where I find useful the work developed by Greimas, the usefulness of which I only suggest in the paper.
>
>             >From this background, I found many interesting ideas and questions
>
>                 in the
>
>             other papers of the special issue. In this first post I will propose
>
>             two of them for possible discussion. The first one was raised by
>
>             González-Rey, when he introduces, in connection with perezhivanie,
>
>             the concepts of personality, and especially, of sense. So, which is
>
>             the conceptual (and-or
>
>             phenomenal) relation between perezhivanie and sense? González-Rey
>
>             suggests that both concepts are somewhat similar (and overcome by the
>
>             concept of “subjective sense”); my opinion, partly expressed in my
>
>             commentary, is that perezhivanie is a type of meaning, which includes
>
>             different levels of depth, and that sense corresponds to the deepest
>
>             level of meaning (which can be characterized as a system of semic
>
>             oppositions). Therefore, sense wouldn't be in opposition to meaning
>
>             (as “a microcosm of human consciousness”, as Kozulin remembers in his
>
>             commentary), although it would be in opposition to manifested meaning (the surface level of meaning).
>
>             The second issue was raised by Roth and Jornet, and I think it goes
>
>             beyond the issue of perezhivanie itself. If I understand them well,
>
>             they argue that Vygotsky's core proposal of cultural mediation is
>
>             influenced by the Cartesian dualism (mind-matter), and that a
>
>             promising approach to Cultural Psychology would be a Spinozist
>
>             monism. I am actually very interested on the issue of which
>
>             epistemological position can best substantiate the construction of a
>
>             cultural psychology, and that's why I feel inclined to take the
>
>             opportunity to ask for your opinions about that. About the proposal
>
>             of Roth and Jornet, I have some doubts. First, I don't see why
>
>             Vygotsky's proposals can be seen as dualist (in the Cartesian sense)
>
>             -I suspect that it is because of the analytical distinctions?.
>
>             Anyway, in my understanding, Vygotsky explicitly assumes a
>
>             materialist monism (for example in The Crisis), and in fact he constructs his proposal on mediation upon reflexology, which also explicitly assumed a materialist monism (e.g.
>
>             Sechenov). Would a Spinozist monism be a better point of departure? I
>
>             don't know, in my understanding it is a more idealist monism, and I
>
>             don't clearly see what could be gained. In my opinion, a scientific
>
>             psychology which includes the study of mind is only possible if any
>
>             type of monism is assumed. However, in my view, for a scientific
>
>             psychology, the ontological nature of the world is perhaps less
>
>             important (it is an issue for metaphysics?), and I am inclined to assume a neutral monism (e.g. Russell).
>
>             So from this view, a materialist monism and a Spinozist monism
>
>             wouldn't be so different, so from both views it could be assumed that
>
>             all is of the same nature and all is similarly knowable (including
>
>             mind) [which is the ontological nature of the world and to what
>
>             degree it is knowable are issues that can be left to philosophy].
>
>             However, in my opinion, this does not mean that, while assuming a
>
>             monism, analytical distinctions cannot be done when studying the
>
>             world. In that sense, I had the impression that Roth and Jornet
>
>             tended to dilute analytical distinctions in the name of monism; I
>
>             repeat that I don't know if I understood them well, but if this was
>
>             the case, in my opinion, analysis would be impossible within the new
>
>             psychology suggested by Roth and Jornet, and, regarding perezhivanie,
>
>             there would be the danger, noted by Vygotsky in The Crisis and
>
>             cautioned by Kozulin in his commentary, that by meaning everything, perezhivanie ends by meaning nothing.
>
>             Best regards and happy new year,
>
>             Marc.
>
>             2017-01-02 9:12 GMT+01:00 Alfredo Jornet Gil<a.j.gil@iped.uio.no> <mailto:a.j.gil@iped.uio.no>:
>
>                 Dear all,
>
>                 I would like to join David, Luisa, Ana, Henry and the others to wish
>
>                 you all a Happy New Year! May it be full of joy, peace, and opportunity.
>
>                 I also would like to begin the year announcing our first ?MCA
>
>                 article discussion, ?although in fact corresponds to the last issue
>
>                 of the year
>
>             we
>
>                 just passed, Issue 4 on Perezhivanie. This is a very special
>
>                 *special* issue, not only because its topic has raised lots of
>
>                 interest lately in
>
>             the
>
>                 CHAT community but also because, greatly coordinated by Andy Blunden
>
>                 and the rest of the editorial team, the issue takes the form of a
>
>                 symposium where authors get the chance to present and respond to
>
>                 each others' ideas on the subject. In my view, this allows having a
>
>                 rich and
>
>             multidimensional
>
>                 approach to a subject as important as perezhivanie.
>
>                 Following with the dialogical spirit in which the special issue was
>
>                 assembled, we will focus on one lead article, but hoping to also
>
>                 engage ideas and insights present in or relevant to other
>
>                 contributions in the issue. ?Marc Clarà's "Vygotsky and Vasilyuk on
>
>                 Perezhivanie: Two Notions and One Word" will be our focus. The
>
>                 article very nicely engages the lead work of Vygotsky, but also the
>
>                 less known ??(?in educational literature) but totally relevant works
>
>                 of psychologist ?F. Vasilyuk and semiotician
>
>             A.
>
>                 J. Greimas, mobilising a number of key concepts including those of
>
>             semiotic
>
>                 mediation and transformation.
>
>                 ?In addition to Marc, who will soon join us, I have encouraged some
>
>                 of
>
>             the
>
>                 other authors in the special issue to also join as "relevant
>
>                 others," if time and circumstances allow them. Let's hope that this
>
>                 will help keeping the symposium spirit up.
>
>                 Marc's article is attached to this e-mail and will be made open
>
>                 access at the T&F pages as soon as people is back from the holidays.
>
>                 The T&F link
>
>             is
>
>                 this:
>
>                 http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/10749039.2016.1186194
>
>                 The link to the MCA Forum pages, where we announce our discussions
>
>                 and other xmca things, is here:http://lchc.ucsd.edu/MCA/
>
>                 I wish us all a very productive and interesting discussion.
>
>                 Alfredo
>



PNG image