[Xmca-l] Re: What are we doing here?

Hey, Rod,
I too am a lurker and dipper. I've been hanging out here since 2008 and have made friends and occasionally made contributions.I owe much to Mike Cole and some others. I haven't done much with Vygotsky, but work with stuff I find in this space, and got some of V's books but don't have time to live with them. I teach language and have been doing so for 40 years, but who can I talk to about metaphor and concept? Many of XCMAers are educators and thinkers. I've taught men and women, adolescents, children, and infants, and since I came to Japan 36 years ago, a virtual Third Space Community such as this successfully stands in for other good places to hang out in another age, ROTC in Fayetteville, Arkansas, Buster's in South Pasadena. Those places may offer a great place to read a book, see familiar faces, have a latte with a friend, but the real physical places do not have the intellectual on-going discussions. Well they might, but I am just passing through. Can't stay. But intellectual civilization advanced in such places where Boswell and Johnson had coffee in a public place where they could see and be seen, listen and speak. I have ridden a good horse named "General Systems Theory via Gregory Bateson." I was doing Allegory before I got this job, I think Cognition and Epistemology and Metaphor occupy the fields where my horse feeds. I teach English to freshmen in all Informatics programs and freshmen in all Engineering majors, and one really needs a general place to come from to meet such a wide variety of unique persons in such a wide variety of specialties. I haven't had time for years to compose the kind of research inspired by the atmosphere in this amazing virtual community where I can't really claim desk space, but I can buy a cup of coffee and chat with the barista. I owe much to this community for this space, because there are few on the ground here who speak my language so I must use whatever I can to keep moving forward... Thanks much for the digest.
Vandy Wilkinson

On 2016/11/05 10:13, Christopher Schuck wrote: B
Thanks too for such a thoughtful synopsis, Rod, which I found myself
relating to deeply. And I suppose this is also relevant to the stuff on the
Gender thread, but I no longer know where to go. Fast Swim, Slow Swim,
Gender, Logic, Genesis of Gender...all spinning off of what appeared to be
a single theme. Wow! My head is spinning.

Having checked in after some time and discovered two or three parallel
conversations well underway, all the comments about time frames (including
Vera's observation about differing paces, styles and degrees of necessary
reflection time) feel very apropos. One of the realities of this format and
the quick turnaround times for posting is that if one is not conscientious
about keeping up (or just lacks the time), there is inevitably an "in media
res" effect of trying to understand the running narrative backwards while
needing to (collectively and collaboratively) live it forwards. I don't
think this is always a bad thing. In fact, I suspect it can sometimes have
the paradoxical effect of enhancing and elevating the discussion. There is
a certain humility and beginner's mind that comes with wandering into a
conversation late, a certain openness to what may not yet be fully
processed, understood and contextualized. And, coming at it with fresh eyes
can lend a different angle that shakes up the conversation a bit. It felt
this way, for instance, when Maria Cristina suddenly entered and offered a
re-contextualization (time constraints and domestic responsibilities) that
kind of turned everything on its head. At the same time, there may be a
certain responsibility on the part of those already engrossed in the
dialogue to be welcoming and inclusive towards anyone "in media res
distress." I agree with Alfredo that trying to prescribe along the
"fast/slow" dimension is undesirable; I'm not sure how much adding new tags
for posts or further classifying per se would really help to counter any
problematic dynamics, though I know nothing about these technologies. I
find myself thinking: what's wrong with the good old-fashioned initiative
of emailing individuals separately and CC-ing whoever seems interested, or
announcing that you'd like to email further with any takers?

Having looked over the last several threads (if far from reading
exhaustively), it seems to me there may be two different issues: 1) how to
do better justice to all these differing purposes, styles and uses of the
listserve, and/or clarify "what we are doing here" in order to avoid
confusion; 2) how to cultivate a fully hospitable atmosphere for those who
may end up being marginalized in various ways, and address these issues
without generating even more unnecessary distress. Of course, those two
things aren't entirely unrelated. But improving the second may not require
that we have fully resolved the first. In another post accidentally sent
from the wrong email, which bounced back and disappeared, I attempted a
preliminary list of different ways people might end up feeling marginalized
or shut out of conversations. Probably not worth resending at this point.

I am more of a peripheral member of this community and have only posted a
few times, but in each instance was very aware of anxiety over the
possibility of translating poorly or just sounding plain stupid. Trying to
negotiate complex ideas *and *respect feelings and boundaries *and *not
sound ignorant, in the absence of voice, expression and physical proximity,
sometimes feels a bit like entering a dark and crowded room. You want to
make contact without knocking someone over or banging into them, but
ultimately you must wait for your eyes to adjust to the night vision so you
can "know your way about" (as Wittgenstein might say). I think it's easy to
underestimate the diversity of cognitive and discursive styles, not just
goals and values, among people on the board. As someone who tends to
approach things very analytically and linearly, in such contexts of
ambiguity I find myself tempted to fall back on the intellectual structure
of ideas, abstract theory, content over form or use, as if it were some
kind of "universal language." Yet as we all know, this does not always help
- and sometimes it backfires. Meanwhile, as someone who like all of us has
an inner life and related experiences, I am tempted to offer something
immediate, concrete and personal. But this can feel risky and possibly
irrelevant, perhaps even narcissistic. To a great extent I am happy just to
listen and learn. But Alfredo's point about not just being a spectator also
resonates with me.

Despite all these misgivings, I'm not sure I'm ready to agree that this
format for communication, or verbal written discourse in general, is
automatically inferior and impoverished in relation to other modes. I mean,
in some ways it obviously is. But there is often a level of care and
thought -- and continuity -- that would be difficult to reproduce in a room
where people are prone to physically competing while attempting high-level
discourse in real time, yet still manages to be relational. There are
definitely tradeoffs. I think like most technology, it brings great
opportunities and big problems. And new opportunities that arise from
having to face those problems.

Chris

On Fri, Nov 4, 2016 at 4:37 PM, Greg Thompson <greg.a.thompson@gmail.com>