[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
[Xmca-l] Manchester Social Movements conference, April 2017 – call for papers
- To: C Barker <C.Barker@mmu.ac.uk>
- Subject: [Xmca-l] Manchester Social Movements conference, April 2017 – call for papers
- From: C Barker <C.Barker@mmu.ac.uk>
- Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2016 16:22:36 +0000
- Accept-language: en-GB, en-US
- List-archive: <https://mailman.ucsd.edu/mailman/private/xmca-l>
- List-help: <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org?subject=help>
- List-id: "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <xmca-l.mailman.ucsd.edu>
- List-post: <mailto:email@example.com>
- List-subscribe: <https://mailman.ucsd.edu/mailman/listinfo/xmca-l>, <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org?subject=subscribe>
- List-unsubscribe: <https://mailman.ucsd.edu/mailman/listinfo/xmca-l>, <mailto:email@example.com?subject=unsubscribe>
- Reply-to: "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Sender: <email@example.com>
- Thread-index: AdItSapcpzAxJOXwQhq1tl4urtZ6kA==
- Thread-topic: Manchester Social Movements conference, April 2017 – call for papers
SOCIAL MOVEMENTS CONFERENCE - CALL FOR PAPERS
>From 1995 to 2016, Manchester Metropolitan University hosted a series of very successful annual international conferences on 'ALTERNATIVE FUTURES and POPULAR PROTEST'.
We're very happy to announce that the Twenty Second AF&PP Conference will be held between Monday 10th and Wednesday 12th April 2017.
The Conference rubric will remain as in previous years. The aim is to explore the dynamics of popular movements, along with the ideas which animate their activists and supporters and which contribute to shaping their fate.
Reflecting the inherent cross-disciplinary nature of the issues, previous participants (from over 60 countries) have come from such specialisms as sociology, politics, cultural studies, social psychology, economics, history and geography. The Manchester conferences have been notable for discovering a fruitful and friendly meeting ground between activism and academia.
PRELIMINARY CALL FOR PAPERS
We invite offers of papers relevant to the conference themes. Papers should address such matters as:
* contemporary and historical social movements and popular protests
* social movement theory
* utopias and experiments
* ideologies of collective action
To offer a paper, please contact either of the conference convenors with a brief abstract:
EITHER Colin Barker,
OR Mike Tyldesley, Politics Section, HPP,
Manchester Metropolitan University
Geoffrey Manton Building, Rosamond Street West
Manchester M15 6LL, England
Tel: M. Tyldesley 0161 247 3460
Fax: 0161 247 6769 (+44 161 247 6769)
(Wherever possible, please use email, especially as Colin Barker is a retired gent. Surface mail and faxes should only be addressed to Mike Tyldesley)
One way we organise this particular conference is that we ask those giving papers to supply them in advance, for inclusion in a Dropbox folder of the complete papers which will be available to all delegates from the conference opening.
* Preferred method: send the paper to Colin Barker as an email attachment in MS Word or .pdf format. Any separate illustrations etc. should be sent separately, in .jpg format.
* if this is impossible, post a copy of the text to Mike Tyldesley on a CD disk in MS Word or .pdf format
* Final date for receipt of abstracts: Monday 20th March February 2017
* Final date for receipt of actual papers: Friday 31st March 2017
These are final dates. The earlier we receive abstracts, and actual papers, the better.
CONFERENCE ARRANGEMENTS AND COSTS
The conference will run from lunch-time Monday 10th April until after lunch on Wednesday 12th April 2017.
The conference cost will be inclusive of three lunches, teas/coffees. The full cost is £145.00, with a cost of £85.00 for students and the unwaged. Please register online at https://www.kxregistration.mmu.ac.uk/alternativefutures2017
Hotels, hostels and dining out
We can supply information about relatively cheap local hotels and hostels. Let us know if you would like this information.
We cannot do hotel or hostel bookings for you.
Conference participants will be invited to dine together at two local (and not too expensive) restaurants on the two conference evenings. Payment for dinners should not be made in advance, but directly to the restaurants on the night.
Please feel free to circulate this to anyone who might be interested.
"Before acting on this email or opening any attachments you should read the Manchester Metropolitan University email disclaimer available on its website http://www.mmu.ac.uk/emaildisclaimer "