[Xmca-l] Re: Parts and wholes

People, animals, it seems that when it is instituted as a bridge by perhaps having a road made up to it, it is only then constituted as a bridge.

On 2/09/2016 2:33 PM, Peter Smagorinsky wrote:
Actually some bridges are constructed over highways specifically to enable herds of animals to migrate. That's a bridge to me.

-----Original Message-----
From: xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu [mailto:xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu] On Behalf Of Andy Blunden
Sent: Friday, September 02, 2016 12:05 AM
To: xmca-l@mailman.ucsd.edu
Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: Parts and wholes

without people travelling across it, it is not a bridge.

On 2/09/2016 12:51 PM, mike cole wrote:
>From Italo Calvino, "Invisible cities" -- a conversation between
Marco Polo
and Kublai Khan, one of many. Some relationship here of constituting
and instituting?

mike

Marco Polo describes a bridge, stone by stone.

              "But which is the stone that supports the bridge," Kublai
Khan asks.

              "The bridge is not supported by one stone or another,"
Marco answers, "but by the line of the arch that they form."

              Kublai Kahn remains silent, reflecting. Then he adds:
"Why do you speak to me of the stones? It is only the arch that matters to me."

              Polo answers. Without the stones, there is no arch."