[Xmca-l] Re: Parts and wholes

without people travelling across it, it is not a bridge.

On 2/09/2016 12:51 PM, mike cole wrote:
>From Italo Calvino, "Invisible cities" -- a conversation between Marco Polo
and Kublai Khan, one of many. Some relationship here of constituting and
instituting?

mike

Marco Polo describes a bridge, stone by stone.

             "But which is the stone that supports the bridge," Kublai Khan
asks.

             "The bridge is not supported by one stone or another," Marco
answers, "but by the line of the arch that they form."

             Kublai Kahn remains silent, reflecting. Then he adds: "Why do
you speak to me of the stones? It is only the arch that matters to me."

             Polo answers. Without the stones, there is no arch."