[Xmca-l] Re: Appeal for help

Thanks Greg. My notebook is filling up!
And Larry.

On 6/07/2016 8:01 AM, Greg Thompson wrote:
​Here are some initial suggestions:
Amanda Coffey's The Ethnographic Self: Fieldwork and the Representation of the Self

The other big literature that comes to mind is the literature from the 80's and 90's that followed Clifford and Marcus' Writing Culture: The Poetics and Politics of Ethnography.

But I think that that piece (and that movement more generally) tends to fly a bit too high and misses the important issue that you are pointing to with regard to the constitution of selves.

And one that I just found is Vincent Crapanzano's 1977 essay On the Writing of Ethnography. More than the others, I think this speaks to the issues that you are talking about - the dialectical constitution of self through fieldwork (although Crapanzano's focus is a bit more on the writing stage than it is on the fieldwork itself).

I think that your issue is addressed indirectly in Tim Ingold's piece about ethnography That's Enough about Ethnography. Which is a response to some of these preoccupations with ethnography. But Ingold addresses your concerns only indirectly.

So this is all to say that while it may be commonplace in anthropology, I don't think that anyone has quite done the work of fully articulating the issue here - and definitely not in terms of a virtue ethical framework. And so, as far as I can see, what you propose would be a useful contribution even for anthropology (although I'm guessing that this would not be your primary audience).

-greg

​