[Xmca-l] Re: Appeal for help

Thanks Michael. That any particular community or project has its own ethic is widely recognised. I am trying to take this a step further. But thanks for the link. It is a nice example.

On 5/07/2016 4:42 PM, Glassman, Michael wrote:
Take a look at The Hacker Ethic by Steve Levy.  He makes essentially this argument of how software developed in the late sixties and the early seventies  If I'm reading you right, this is something I have been looking at as well.

Michael

-----Original Message-----
From: xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu [mailto:xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu] On Behalf Of Andy Blunden
Sent: Tuesday, July 05, 2016 2:36 AM
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity <xmca-l@mailman.ucsd.edu>
Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: Appeal for help

Well, as is my nature, and given my situation, I am not going to do any of that kind of *investigation*, Michael; I don't really want to explain my larger project because that would lead to confusion of all kinds at this stage. But ...
I am just trying to show that the understanding of virtues is enhanced by taking virtues to be attributes of projects, with individuals perhaps acquiring and developing such attributes in and through their participation in, commitment to and place within the project. But it is not my intention to look at participation in projects as a way of individuals acquiring virtues. But simply that the virtuous nature of the project is what is primary, not the prima facie character of the individual participants. The problems I will face in substantiating this are very similar to the issues you raised about cognitive development, but I am confident I can overcome them.

OK?