[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
[Xmca-l] Re: Vygotskian Passage
- To: "email@example.com" <firstname.lastname@example.org>, "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <email@example.com>
- Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: Vygotskian Passage
- From: "Glassman, Michael" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2016 11:48:04 +0000
- Accept-language: en-US
- Authentication-results: spf=pass (sender IP is 126.96.36.199) smtp.mailfrom=osu.edu; mailman.ucsd.edu; dkim=none (message not signed) header.d=none;mailman.ucsd.edu; dmarc=bestguesspass action=none header.from=osu.edu;
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=buckeyemailosu.onmicrosoft.com; s=selector1-osu-edu; h=From:Date:Subject:Message-ID:Content-Type:MIME-Version; bh=hLz/uFit2zh+EM6TFancnlRE93n9aqDGntwPZPDCh2M=; b=Waq20SoHzDIURcxQcFt5iCE9vOzu+BBbVdcHvJ6V+qzlTXXBRzIGpK7NTTgrKIj+zn9FkfxCTKLIsikRwmfQ6Pet0vN6rtynfIni4WO/1a5cMeBLt/Nkb0e+AHr3MNaYpfUB4RlwqIhbkr0cGnu3Q4aaM3PdSGs/6w+5BKyEGR0=
- In-reply-to: <email@example.com>
- List-archive: <https://mailman.ucsd.edu/mailman/private/xmca-l>
- List-help: <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org?subject=help>
- List-id: "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <xmca-l.mailman.ucsd.edu>
- List-post: <mailto:email@example.com>
- List-subscribe: <https://mailman.ucsd.edu/mailman/listinfo/xmca-l>, <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org?subject=subscribe>
- List-unsubscribe: <https://mailman.ucsd.edu/mailman/listinfo/xmca-l>, <mailto:email@example.com?subject=unsubscribe>
- References: <3B91542B0D4F274D871B38AA48E991F903C0CCC3@CIO-KRC-D1MBX04.osuad.osu.edu> <CAEUxSQFQ45Au5sGX5jA77WTw9bH34wvumHqz+zeZP7T3jw655w@mail.gmail.com> <3B91542B0D4F274D871B38AA48E991F903C0CD05@CIO-KRC-D1MBX04.osuad.osu.edu> <CACwG6DvX++X2bY=rP3-1R=vVp_n=_nzv0sGCW=_v0H_uJDNkKA@mail.gmail.com> <3B91542B0D4F274D871B38AA48E991F903C0CD35@CIO-KRC-D1MBX04.osuad.osu.edu> <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Reply-to: "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <email@example.com>
- Sender: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Spamdiagnosticmetadata: NSPM
- Spamdiagnosticoutput: 1:99
- Thread-index: AdHGZL7ChOm/eTmhRVqGs/KLhvv3JwAKcR8AAAa8hUD//+jVAIAAP4kAgAAUewD//5j7gA==
- Thread-topic: [Xmca-l] Re: Vygotskian Passage
Interesting, maybe that's why I merged the Arseniev anecdote and the use of strings to aid memory. I wonder if when we developed semiotic mediators conception of memory changed (of course nobody thought of it as memory at the time), and if now with new types of storage of and access to semiotic mediators if our conception of memory is changing again.
From: email@example.com [mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org] On Behalf Of Andy Blunden
Sent: Tuesday, June 14, 2016 9:37 PM
Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: Vygotskian Passage
This also has material about sending messages:
(especially the last few paragraphs)
On 15/06/2016 6:49 AM, Glassman, Michael wrote:
> Yes, I think that's it. I must have been merging this description with the strings used for memory described by Leontiev Bella pointed to.
> Thanks so much, this solves one mystery in my life. I wish they could all be answered so quickly.
> Thanks so much,
> -----Original Message-----
> From: email@example.com
> [mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org] On Behalf Of David Kellogg
> Sent: Tuesday, June 14, 2016 4:36 PM
> To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity <email@example.com>
> Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: Vygotskian Passage
> I think you are actually thinking of an incident that Vygotsky describes from the work of V.K. Arsen'ev. It's on p. 50 of Vol. Four of the Collected Works, and you can read it here:
> See paragraph 118. There's also a footnote about it in "Concrete Psychology" (see number 14).
> By some accounts, Vygosky was in correspondence with Arsen'ev, who wrote "Dersu the Trapper". Akira Kurasawa made this book into a wonderful movie, which you can see here.
> David Kellogg
> Macquarie University
> On Wed, Jun 15, 2016 at 4:32 AM, Glassman, Michael
>> Thanks Bella. The passage I remember, or think I remember, was
>> definitely along the same lines.
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: firstname.lastname@example.org [mailto:
>> email@example.com] On Behalf Of Bella Kotik-Friedgut
>> Sent: Tuesday, June 14, 2016 2:46 PM
>> To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity <firstname.lastname@example.org>
>> Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: Vygotskian Passage
>> The picture attached is from the book of Leontiev A.N. The
>> development Mind of a chapter on the historical development of higher forms of memory.
>> Sincerely yours Bella Kotik-Friedgut
>> On Tue, Jun 14, 2016 at 8:50 PM, Glassman, Michael
>>> I wonder if somebody might be able to help me. I seem to remember a
>>> passage from Vygotsky where he describes a person going between
>>> villages, I think to deliver messages. He uses some type of
>>> external symbol system, maybe tying strings around his finger. Does
>>> anybody know if that really exists and if so where.
>>> Thanks in advance to anybody who might be able to help.