[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

[Xmca-l] Re: PDF Document Sociocultural and Feminist Theory_ Mutuality and Relevance.pdf



Yes, the idea behind the book is to not only advance critical and
poststructuralist theories but also to demonstrate how these theories can
help advance the field's commitments. For example, Bill and I show in our
chapter how queer theory helps us to extend theories of identity and
learning, and how queer theory can inform educational and research design
and pedagogy.

To address your point about how sociocultural theory helps in advancing
queer theory: Many of the commitments of queer theory are shared by
sociocultural theory, although queer theory hasn't gained much traction yet
within the learning sciences. It's more commonly used in the humanities,
especially in literary analysis and media studies--so sociocultural
theories help with the slide over to the social sciences. Queer theory has
a lot in common with, for example, the CHAT framing of community, activity,
and contradiction. It also shares an interest in identity, although it
approaches this concern from a different ontological vantage-point than
what we see in dominant perspectives within the learning sciences.

-- 


Jacob McWilliams
Educational Psychology and Learning Sciences Program
University of Colorado Boulder
j.mcwilliams@colorado.edu
http://www.jennamcwilliams.com


On Tue, Apr 26, 2016 at 8:51 AM, Greg Thompson <greg.a.thompson@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Thanks for the details Jacob!
> Yes, interesting and useful!
> Also, is one of the goals of the book to put sociocultural theory in
> conversation with these other discourses (queer theory, critical race
> theory, feminist theory, etc.)?
> The title isn't exactly clear on whether the point is to explicitly put
> critical theories in conversation with sociocultural theories or if this is
> just a grouping together of these theories to see what they look like
> alongside one another (which, of course, implicitly puts them in
> conversation withe each other).
> (e.g., you might elaborate on what sociocultural theory does for your
> argument for advancing queer theory in the learning sciences).
> -greg
>
>
>
>
> On Tue, Apr 26, 2016 at 8:23 AM, Jacob McWilliams <jennamcjenna@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Thanks, Greg--it was nice to see you at the panel, and I'm glad the
> session
> > felt interesting--and hopefully also useful.
> >
> > The book is Power and Privilege in the Learning Sciences: Critical and
> > Sociocultural Theories, and it's co-edited by Indigo Esmonde and Angela
> > Booker (both cc'ed on this message). My chapter, co-written with Bill
> > Penuel, is an argument for advancing queer theory in the learning
> sciences;
> > other chapters focus on frameworks like Critical Race Theory, feminist
> > theory, critical geography, critical technology studies, and so on.
> >
> > It's a really exciting project, and one that I think is sorely needed.
> >
> >
> >
> > --
> >
> >
> > Jacob McWilliams
> > Educational Psychology and Learning Sciences Program
> > University of Colorado Boulder
> > j.mcwilliams@colorado.edu
> > http://www.jennamcwilliams.com
> >
> >
> > On Mon, Apr 25, 2016 at 8:39 PM, Greg Thompson <
> greg.a.thompson@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > At AERA a few weeks back I saw a panel with Jacob McWilliams on it that
> > was
> > > dealing with these very issues that you mention here Mike as you quote
> > and
> > > "hear here" Phillip's comments.
> > >
> > > The talks on the panel that Jacob was on were, as I understand it,
> > chapters
> > > of an upcoming book that will be edited by Angela Booker and ???. I
> fear
> > > I've forgotten some of the details but I do remember the panel being
> one
> > of
> > > the best panels I attended at AERA this year.
> > >
> > > Jacob, or perhaps someone else familiar with the book: could you fill
> in
> > > the details here? Who is the co-editor (or co-editors)? What is the
> name
> > of
> > > the volume?
> > >
> > > Any other details would be greatly appreciated (anticipated publication
> > > date? Perhaps a list of authors if it isn't too premature).
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > greg
> > >
> > >
> > > On Sun, Apr 24, 2016 at 4:23 PM, mike cole <mcole@ucsd.edu> wrote:
> > >
> > > > Hear hear, Phillip!
> > > >
> > > > Who wrote:
> > > >
> > > > i read this conclusion as a call for those scholars studying mind,
> > > culture
> > > > and activity to actively collaborate with critical theorists,
> critical
> > > race
> > > > theorist, queer theorists, so that, as Helena Worthem is advocating,
> > our
> > > > work can be closer to the bone of contemporary events.
> > > > The editors of MCA, I think it is safe to say, will welcome first
> class
> > > > articles that do exactly this.
> > > >
> > > > mike
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > On Sun, Apr 24, 2016 at 3:01 PM, White, Phillip <
> > > > Phillip.White@ucdenver.edu>
> > > > wrote:
> > > >
> > > > > greetings, everyone.  i can only image that the participants of
> xmca
> > > have
> > > > > been waiting with baited breath to hear the results of my gefilte
> > fish
> > > > for
> > > > > last friday's seder - and i can only repeat, so that you know that
> > i'm
> > > > not
> > > > > fishing for compliments, that the gentleman in his late seventies
> who
> > > was
> > > > > seated next to me (my son's mother-in-law's cousin's husband) said,
> > > "This
> > > > > gefilte fish is better than my Kiev born grandmother, and she was a
> > > great
> > > > > cook!"
> > > > >
> > > > > however, to join in the swim or current postings, Vera's conclusion
> > is
> > > > > quite to the point, so that i'm pasting it in here:
> > > > >
> > > > > "In the beginning of this chapter, I suggested that traditional
> > > > > psychological and economic
> > > > > models of human agents as lone, competitive actors are losing
> > > influence.
> > > > > Increasingly, interdependence between persons is recognized as
> > central
> > > to
> > > > > individual and societal functioning. Both cultural-historical and
> > > > feminist
> > > > > theorists place the social sources of development, or
> > > "self-in-re1ation"
> > > > as
> > > > > central within their framework. There are shared themes and
> > > > > complementarity, as well as different emphases across these two
> > groups
> > > of
> > > > > theorists. Feminists' concerns with developmental and relational
> > > dynamics
> > > > > are not explicitly shared by scholars studying mind, culture and
> > > > activity.
> > > > > However, in looking for areas of mutuality , we broaden our ways of
> > > > > knowing, and, in the process, may construct a new synthesis between
> > > > thought
> > > > > and motive, and cognition and emotion."
> > > > >
> > > > > i read this conclusion as a call for those scholars studying mind,
> > > > culture
> > > > > and activity to actively collaborate with critical theorists,
> > critical
> > > > race
> > > > > theorist, queer theorists, so that, as Helena Worthem is
> advocating,
> > > our
> > > > > work can be closer to the bone of contemporary events.
> > > > >
> > > > > phillip
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > --
> > > >
> > > > It is the dilemma of psychology to deal as a natural science with an
> > > object
> > > > that creates history. Ernst Boesch
> > > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > --
> > > Gregory A. Thompson, Ph.D.
> > > Assistant Professor
> > > Department of Anthropology
> > > 880 Spencer W. Kimball Tower
> > > Brigham Young University
> > > Provo, UT 84602
> > > http://byu.academia.edu/GregoryThompson
> > >
> >
>
>
>
> --
> Gregory A. Thompson, Ph.D.
> Assistant Professor
> Department of Anthropology
> 880 Spencer W. Kimball Tower
> Brigham Young University
> Provo, UT 84602
> http://byu.academia.edu/GregoryThompson
>