[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
[Xmca-l] Fwd: Transgender Conference to Include Professional Track for Educators, Medical and Mental Health Fields
- To: "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <email@example.com>
- Subject: [Xmca-l] Fwd: Transgender Conference to Include Professional Track for Educators, Medical and Mental Health Fields
- From: mike cole <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2016 09:34:01 -0700
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20120113; h=mime-version:sender:in-reply-to:references:from:date:message-id :subject:to; bh=nGltBU25pim5CD6VwnzTkLQKnSCnUbWNY1OYFkLNwXY=; b=bXoDio690T4OxLDMMrCLGbs5bR+EcT06Z4Fjc9Et0lsYXtL9S1taiuXNhrCOHCYdHM 74X6yL8zTx7g76miOzYMv1LFU7vNK+C2w5t9pMykb9Bo1NQe8FEJ/NxiHR4lkr8DYdlh tQ+hEwxU/jiqO03CDPKAdR5ukokfdHhtyLSbTGeSpJxrjmOTTJsWaq48rHcerHg37Jsc W8UQ/fRJUGabSYZ4TEfVrC8GhXKhh5UYTba75Xm3czQEocuMnwa1uDP246tlZL8FUQ5U WEnTOHo65PXULi4juQ+ZQ9evVV9HPRmUad1CIhk3qaXDv3hVOVADiRG40xmz7UvwVzT/ n3NA==
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=ucsd-edu.20150623.gappssmtp.com; s=20150623; h=mime-version:sender:in-reply-to:references:from:date:message-id :subject:to; bh=nGltBU25pim5CD6VwnzTkLQKnSCnUbWNY1OYFkLNwXY=; b=iQ3814B/XhkN3zFTDAFoGrGsHP2kXRy9q0lEmG/4TwGodKYPkw4StgWSwopKLPJv9s ECMajzb/p5knPMGRdBdQSUlT9iBRp9Xb69D9YahiXZlBvU6dgMkh+1Ycyl9vrcCg2jf9 bYP/GcrMMjvs2BI2CXhyH/NymqN9SLsJ+v5dOzIHxv5kGw0p0uNj4BK0W6NhxIkIbxB7 MXz7NRZG7GvTtNOwMjlK7NAf+4fAFrcH+kffGNqEKKoANqvYethh65Njt5LicP3hsrpI DrL1H2dqGyyUxyI8Iu0dFyuTyGtWIWCq3xIiRB7aRi/82y1uK/0z1IVDF/ORuRF4T3pN AD8A==
- In-reply-to: <email@example.com>
- List-archive: <https://mailman.ucsd.edu/mailman/private/xmca-l>
- List-help: <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org?subject=help>
- List-id: "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <xmca-l.mailman.ucsd.edu>
- List-post: <mailto:email@example.com>
- List-subscribe: <https://mailman.ucsd.edu/mailman/listinfo/xmca-l>, <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org?subject=subscribe>
- List-unsubscribe: <https://mailman.ucsd.edu/mailman/listinfo/xmca-l>, <mailto:email@example.com?subject=unsubscribe>
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Reply-to: "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <email@example.com>
- Sender: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Cathy Renna <email@example.com>
Date: Mon, Apr 25, 2016 at 9:20 AM
Subject: Transgender Conference to Include Professional Track for
Educators,Medical and Mental Health Fields
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Cathy Renna, firstname.lastname@example.org, 917-757-6123
15th Annual “Gender Odyssey” Conference To Be Held August 4-7, 2016 in
Seattle, Washington Multiple Programs for Professional, Families and
Transgender Communities Keynote speakers Geena Rocero and Maddie Deutsch
Seattle, WA…April 22, 2016……As visibility for transgender issues and
communities reaches a historic high mark, over 1000 participants will
gather in Seattle, WA for the annual Gender Odyssey Conference. This year
marks the 15th year for the gathering. Gender Odyssey’s primary objective
is to offer tools to navigate obstacles and provide pathways to individual
and community empowerment, with conference tracks for professionals,
families and trans people of all ages.
“We are looking forward to gathering at an extraordinary time of visibility
and challenge for transgender communities, their families and allies,” said
Aidan Key, Gender Odyssey’s founder. “The first Gender Odyssey conference
was held in Seattle during the spring of 2001, and with support of
dedicated volunteers and participants, has evolved into an event beyond our
greatest expectations,” continued Key.
“At a time when we see increasing visibility for transgender people that is
coupled with a troubling increase in strategic attacks on the LGBT
community scapegoating trans people, the safe space and resources this
conference offers are more important than ever,” said Key.
Gender Odyssey will again offer scores of workshops, films, receptions,
performances and the opportunity to network, learn and create community.
The stand-alone conference for families with gender diverse and transgender
children, “Gender Odyssey Family,” will again be a cornerstone of the
weekend. With three days of workshops, a day camp for kids and complete
teen program, this annual family conference is one of few places in where
children, teens, with their families can get the information and support
they need to live happy, healthy and fulfilled lives.
In addition, Gender Odyssey’s recently expanded conference for
professionals and students, “GO Professional,” will include sessions
covering best practices for therapists, current medical protocols, legal
considerations, and a full programming track for educators including model
school policies for gender variant students.
This year’s keynote speakers will be Geena Rocero and Dr. Madeline Deutsch.
*Rocero* is a Filipina model and founder of Gender Proud, an advocacy and
aid organization that stands up for the right of transgender people
worldwide to “self-identify with the fewest possible barriers.” Rocero came
out as transgender while giving a TED talk
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TED_talk>, which has since received 2.8
million views. In 2015, Rocero became the executive producer of *Beautiful
As I Want To Be*, a digital series for Logo focused on transgender youth
and recently received a GLAAD Media Award for the program.
*Deutsch**,* an MD, MPH, is an assistant clinical professor in the
Department of Family & Community Medicine at UCSF. She is the Director of
Clinical Services at the UCSF Center of Excellence for Transgender Health,
with her clinic based at UCSF Women’s Health Primary Care, in partnership
with the National Center of Excellence in Women’s Health. Dr. Deutsch has
been involved in a number of research and capacity building projects
focused on transgender health.
For more information about these respective programs, go to:
Families & Children - http://www.genderodysseyfamily.org/
Professionals - http://www.genderdiversity.org/gopro/
Community - http://www.genderodyssey.org/
Scholarships available for those with financial need.
If you would rather not receive future communications from Cathy Renna, let
us know by clicking here.
Cathy Renna, 17 Bull Run, East Hampton, NY 11937 United States
It is the dilemma of psychology to deal as a natural science with an object
that creates history. Ernst Boesch