[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
[Xmca-l] Re: Althusser's ideas of consciousness
- To: "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <email@example.com>, "firstname.lastname@example.org" <email@example.com>
- Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: Althusser's ideas of consciousness
- From: Annalisa Aguilar <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2016 01:19:19 +0000
- Accept-language: en-US
- Authentication-results: mailman.ucsd.edu; dkim=none (message not signed) header.d=none; mailman.ucsd.edu; dmarc=none action=none header.from=unm.edu;
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=unmm.onmicrosoft.com; s=selector1-unm-edu; h=From:To:Date:Subject:Message-ID:Content-Type:MIME-Version; bh=IOnsKE0OcUM1lNxlalA9Mj65vgi2vjrLeAXtHJZ2oK0=; b=Zcih3l4BR5ax/wwvrt9XHczY5MFu8/YwejmWRUgKWmAlQEIcBZkWKT8KUibjo1UaiHD3Uq8FX8HeSK+JIR7TYSetHdCXHp5RpSIt31tzoFPbcYvijx8w8VkaXzibMzhFoWmK+JdaUrv0ltjomR6JKNLQTkAVmIjOfJS3B8i+TR0=
- In-reply-to: <email@example.com>
- List-archive: <https://mailman.ucsd.edu/mailman/private/xmca-l>
- List-help: <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org?subject=help>
- List-id: "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <xmca-l.mailman.ucsd.edu>
- List-post: <mailto:email@example.com>
- List-subscribe: <https://mailman.ucsd.edu/mailman/listinfo/xmca-l>, <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org?subject=subscribe>
- List-unsubscribe: <https://mailman.ucsd.edu/mailman/listinfo/xmca-l>, <mailto:email@example.com?subject=unsubscribe>
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Reply-to: "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <email@example.com>
- Sender: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Spamdiagnosticmetadata: NSPM
- Spamdiagnosticoutput: 1:23
- Thread-index: AQHRnpB9BN5mzKzGkky2DT4rgYrkzA==
- Thread-topic: [Xmca-l] Althusser's ideas of consciousness
So then ideas OF consciousness, as you are using the word, has to do with activity. If I am understanding you correctly, would this correspond with activity theory, if activity is that which develops mind?
Interpellates is a new word for me, and seems to be, for althusser, a particular manifestation of activity which develops and specifically reproduces political being, in the sense, I imagine, of carrying an ideology like a virus or meme from individual to individual, group to group. In althusser's sensibility, this is pressed into being by the state upon members of the society, in a totalitarian sense, it seems, which means we can never be free, it seems.
Do I have that correctly?
If that is correct, then what is althusser's idea OF freedom. Also, althusser had a troubled past with his wife, did he not? so I'm not clear how the personal is political in his case. Or rather the personal connected to the political, maybe is a better way to frame it.
Is it possible to post to the list those Fraser and Fanon texts? I no longer have the open access to journal texts I used to have.
Also, to those reading my longer posts, I hope they have not been oppressive, or inflammatory, but responsive and inclusive, as that is how I have intended them, even if I've been critical. Sometimes the apparatus of emails and listservs do not translate well, and also the nature of posts on elections can be read so swiftly due to the emotional content they carry, that intended meanings can be easily lost.
I feel that it has been overall a positive and honest exchange, though it would be great to have more people participate. I'm grateful to everyone who has spoken up thus far and made their contributions.