[no subject]

"The convergence of these two theories suggests some interesting hypotheses=
: First, for cultural change to have effects on individuals, ecocultural fo=
rces must be instantiated into activity settings which are a part of the ev=
eryday life of the individual. Changes which never influence goals, motives=
, personnel, tasks, and task requirements will have little effect on indivi=
dual cognition, emotion and behavior. This is as true of the home and commu=
nity setting, as it is for the classroom: efforts to "make culture relevant=
 for minority education" which do not also have the effect of reshaping rel=
evant features of classroom activity settings are unlikely to produce stron=
g effects on learning.

A second hypothesis relates specifically to children and to efforts to affe=
ct child development through parent training. Many programs rely on trainin=
g of parents to achieve socially desirable goals. The convergence of activi=
ty and ecocultural theory suggests that none of these will have lasting eff=
ects unless they create activities which are supported by the local ecocult=
ural niche.

A related version of the same hypothesis is a requirement that any effort t=
o train parents must require evidence that such training is not only suppor=
ted by the niche, but is adopted by other parents and diffused through the =
niche as a valued innovation by kinsmen and other culture members.

Uniting of activity and ecocultural theory provides an attractive alternati=
ve to explanations using packed, global terms, such as differential levels =
of "stimulation" for children, or packaged family-level measures such as so=
cioeconomic status rankings. Used in this way stimulation has roughly the s=
ame explanatory properties as bad night air. Something about better educate=
d mothers makes them more stimulating--but what? What are the mediating mec=
hanisms? The combination of the two theories provides a basis for specifyin=
g at the level of cultural activities what it is that accounts for differen=
tial behavior, and at the same time provides a principled basis for identif=
ying the ecocultural context which gives rise to the activities. What matte=
rs is the ecocultural factors that in turn influence the who, why, what and=
 how of the activities in which children spend their time.=E2=80=9D

ron

> On Mar 23, 2016, at 5:21 PM, Greg Thompson <greg.a.thompson@gmail.com> wr=
ote:
>=20
> Cliff, thanks for this.
> Michael, yes, I'm entirely in agreement about the importance of the
> intransigence of a meaning of a concept for the individual - it has to be
> something outside of us in order to be of value to us, i.e. to enable
> newness, growth, development.
>=20
> Where I get tripped up is: does meaning have to be intransigent for a giv=
en
> community? I suppose the answer is: yes, if the point is the growth of th=
at
> community. But maybe not if the point is the growth of the individuals in
> that community (for whom the meaning may indeed be intransigent).
>=20
> Maybe.
> -greg
>=20
>=20
>=20
> On Wed, Mar 23, 2016 at 2:31 PM, Cliff O'Donnell <cliffo@hawaii.edu> wrot=
e:
>=20
>> Greg, for an overview of the Yale Psycho-Educational Clinic, see:
>>=20
>> Goldenburg, I. and Levine, M. (1969), The development and evolution of t=
he
>> YALE PSYCHO-EDUCATIONAL CLINIC. Applied Psychology: An International
>> Review, 18, 101=E2=80=93110. doi: 10.1111/j.1464-0597.1969.tb00671.x
>>=20
>> Cliff
>>=20
>>=20
>> On Mar 22, 2016, at 7:22 PM, Greg Thompson wrote:
>>=20
>> Mike,
>>> Just wondering if you had any observations to share about the Yale
>>> Psycho-Educational Clinic?
>>> (or maybe you had left Yale by then?).
>>> Seemed like an interesting attempt to create a setting that would be ne=
at
>>> to hear more about from the outside.
>>> -greg
>>>=20
>>> On Mon, Mar 21, 2016 at 1:19 PM, mike cole <mcole@ucsd.edu> wrote:
>>>=20
>>> Trying to follow through on each of the concepts, Cliff.
In