[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
[Xmca-l] Re: "Generic"
- To: "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <email@example.com>
- Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: "Generic"
- From: mike cole <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Date: Tue, 9 Feb 2016 09:05:19 -0800
- Cc: Mikhail Munipov <email@example.com>, Boris Meshcheryakov <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- In-reply-to: <56BA0980.email@example.com>
- List-archive: <https://mailman.ucsd.edu/mailman/private/xmca-l>
- List-help: <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org?subject=help>
- List-id: "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <xmca-l.mailman.ucsd.edu>
- List-post: <mailto:email@example.com>
- List-subscribe: <https://mailman.ucsd.edu/mailman/listinfo/xmca-l>, <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org?subject=subscribe>
- List-unsubscribe: <https://mailman.ucsd.edu/mailman/listinfo/xmca-l>, <mailto:email@example.com?subject=unsubscribe>
- References: <56BA0980.firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Reply-to: "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <email@example.com>
- Sender: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Interesting ideas Rob. Hopefully, one of our Russian colleagues will have
access to the original text.
On Tue, Feb 9, 2016 at 7:44 AM, R.J.S.Parsons <email@example.com>
> In another context, I'm working on a quote from Stravinsky: "Tradition
> is generic; it is not simply ‘handed down’, fathers to sons, but
> undergoes a life process: it is born, grows, matures, declines, and is
> reborn, perhaps. These stages of growth and regrowth are always in
> contradiction to the stages of another concept or interpretation: true
> tradition lives in the contradiction."
> I thought "generic" might be a misused equivalent for a Russian word. I
> thought "organic" or "generative" might describe better what follows.
> Then I realised it was spoken in English. (It's from "Memories and
> Commentaries: New One-Volume Edition" Compiled and Edited by Robert Craft.)
> But the original question still stands in the sense that perhaps
> Stravinsky had a Russian concept in mind and found a not very good
> English equivalent. So can anyone shed any light on what the Russian
> concept behind "generic" might have been?
> -- The Open University is incorporated by Royal Charter (RC 000391), an
> exempt charity in England & Wales and a charity registered in Scotland (SC
> 038302). The Open University is authorised and regulated by the Financial
> Conduct Authority.
It is the dilemma of psychology to deal as a natural science with an object
that creates history. Ernst Boesch