[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
[Xmca-l] Re: Fwd: The Day Without Adjuncts at Northeastern
- To: "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <email@example.com>
- Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: Fwd: The Day Without Adjuncts at Northeastern
- From: mike cole <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2016 20:32:49 -0800
- Cc: "OSE@yahoogroups.com" <OSE@yahoogroups.com>, "email@example.com" <firstname.lastname@example.org>, Carrie Lobman <email@example.com>, Tony Perone <firstname.lastname@example.org>, PIG group <email@example.com>
- In-reply-to: <CALqp6zMpbAnHrcf710Ucrhq_wg=LVBa+KXN5fbZvYJeNnPKMrg@mail.gmail.com>
- List-archive: <https://mailman.ucsd.edu/mailman/private/xmca-l>
- List-help: <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org?subject=help>
- List-id: "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <xmca-l.mailman.ucsd.edu>
- List-post: <mailto:email@example.com>
- List-subscribe: <https://mailman.ucsd.edu/mailman/listinfo/xmca-l>, <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org?subject=subscribe>
- List-unsubscribe: <https://mailman.ucsd.edu/mailman/listinfo/xmca-l>, <mailto:email@example.com?subject=unsubscribe>
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org> <CALqp6zMpbAnHrcf710Ucrhq_wg=LVBa+KXN5fbZvYJeNnPKMrg@mail.gmail.com>
- Reply-to: "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <email@example.com>
- Sender: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Great idea, Ana. Its a major problem eroding higher education.
On Wed, Jan 13, 2016 at 5:54 PM, Ana Marjanovic-Shane <email@example.com>
> Dear colleagues,
> As a former adjunct professor for many years, I am very sensitive when it
> comes to the faculty rights! There should be no double standards when it
> comes to the rights, working conditions, pay, benefits, and status of the
> faculty, anyway! Period.
> Please, help the Northeastern University adjunct faculty get a fair
> ---------- Forwarded message ---------
> From: Faculty Forward Network <firstname.lastname@example.org>
> Date: Wed, Jan 13, 2016 at 8:29 PM
> Subject: The Day Without Adjuncts at Northeastern
> To: Ana Marjanovic-Shane <email@example.com>
> Friend us on Facebook
> us on Twitter
> [image: Faculty Forward Logo]
> Dear Colleague,
> My name is Haley Malm. I am an adjunct lecturer at Northeastern University.
> And I'm going on strike next week.
> For 16 months, my colleagues and I have been bargaining with Northeastern
> for fair pay and better working conditions, only to be met with endless
> stall tactics, and other disrespect for our work.
> At Northeastern, that means treating adjuncts as marginal, disposable
> employees to help minimize instructional costs.
> *That's why January 19, one week from today, will be A Day Without Adjuncts
> at Northeastern
> -- if we don't have a contract by then.*
> Students have stood by us for months, even taking dramatic action
> to push the administration to act.
> Now we need help from fellow faculty. Please send a message
> to Northeastern President Joseph Aoun and Provost James Bean urging them to
> show real leadership and reach an agreement that respects the work of
> part-time faculty.
> *I'm asking you to send a message to the Northeastern administration,
> demanding that they reach a fair contract for adjunct faculty.*
> *Why am I going on strike?*
> - In the College of Professional Studies, where I teach, some
> adjunct faculty make as little as $2,259 per course. President Aoun
> more than that in a day.
> - Rather than offer equitable health benefits to adjunct faculty who
> work full-time, Northeastern unilaterally implemented separate, more
> expensive coverage just for adjunct faculty, in violation of federal
> - If Northeastern values me and my fellow adjunct faculty so little,
> we should let them try and run things without us for a day.
> - Most importantly, our students deserve better. Our teaching
> conditions are their learning conditions, after all -- and this
> administration does not prioritize good working conditions for faculty.
> Northeastern is one of the largest universities in Massachusetts, with a
> billion-dollar operating budget and a millionaire president. It can easily
> afford the cents on the dollar a fair contract would cost. And if we win
> better working conditions here, it could influence working conditions at
> your school, as well.
> *Please take a moment to tell President Aoun and Provost Bean that it's
> time to treat adjunct faculty fairly.
> In gratitude and solidarity,
> Haley Malm
> Adjunct Lecturer, Northeastern University
> Copyright © 2016 Faculty Forward
> All rights reserved.
> 666 West End Ave, Suite 1B, New York, NY 10025
> This email was sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org
> Friend us on Facebook
> Follow us on Twitter
> *Ana Marjanovic-Shane*
> Dialogic Pedagogy Journal editor (dpj.pitt.edu)
> Associate Professor of Education
> Chestnut Hill College
> phone: 267-334-2905
It is the dilemma of psychology to deal as a natural science with an
object that creates history. Ernst Boesch