[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

[Xmca-l] Re: Hegel's imagination



I have a recollection of discussions in the late 70s/early 80s where a number of Marxists (whose knowledge of Hegel was derivative of Engels in any case) fervently argued that Piaget was "compatible" with Marxism and that he was an "unconscious" dialectician. I am inclined to believe that Piaget never read Hegel, as you say Arthur, but a lot of people perceived a likeness. In my own reading of Piaget, which is extremely limited - but I did read his Genetic Epistemology, for example - is that he has not read Hegel or appropriated anything from him. But like Kuhn, the nature of the ideas he introduced made many people think of Hegel - the concern with sophisticated logic, transformational change between stages, for example.

But quite apart from general resemblances with how change and development is conceived, the passage I sent the link to was from the Subjective Spirit. This is a work which has been very little discussed outside of "professional" Hegel scholarship until very recent times. If Piaget read Hegel that would not suggest that he knew anything about Hegel's ideas about Imagination.

Andy
------------------------------------------------------------
*Andy Blunden*
http://home.pacific.net.au/~andy/
On 9/12/2015 8:48 AM, Bakker, A. (Arthur) wrote:
Andy, Peter,

I  just read an interesting book by Kitchener (1986) on Piaget:

Kitchener, R. F. (1986). Piaget's theory of knowledge: Genetic epistemology & scientific reason. Yale University Press.

There is a passage on dialectical thinking in Piaget's work, and there is an Hegelian influence, but Kitchener claims that Piaget never read Hegel.
I brought the book back to the library, so I cannot check the page numbers (cannot find it in google books).
However in the Cambridge Companion to Piaget, Hegel is mentioned a few times (e.g. p. 163 ff by Campbell) so

Best,

Arthur

Dr Arthur Bakker | Freudenthal Institute | Faculty of Science and Faculty of Social and Behavioural Sciences| Utrecht University | Princetonplein 5, kamer 465 |PO Box  85170, 3508 AD Utrecht | tel. 030 253 5641 | a.bakker4@uu.nl | sampling (ESM 2015), inquiry (ZDM 2015). scaffolding (ZDM 2015)

________________________________________
From: xmca-l-bounces+a.bakker4=uu.nl@mailman.ucsd.edu [xmca-l-bounces+a.bakker4=uu.nl@mailman.ucsd.edu] on behalf of Peter Feigenbaum [Staff] [pfeigenbaum@fordham.edu]
Sent: Tuesday, December 08, 2015 4:36 PM
To: ablunden@mira.net; eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: Hegel's imagination

Andy,

No, it's merely an hypothesis--although I must admit I never bothered to
check whether Piaget ever made any direct references to Hegel. The basis
for my hypothesis are several of Piaget's earliest essays in The Essential
Piaget (Howard Gruber & Jacques Vonèche, Eds.), which are all about *The
Idea*. Those essays are what led me (years ago) to infer that he was
fascinated with Hegel. Piaget's later writings, which weave dialectical
logic into his theory of development, only added further weight to that
hypothesis.

Apparently, I'm not the only one to see an affinity between Piaget and
Hegel: Piaget's dialectical approach to development has been examined
by several philosophers, such as James Lawler and Marx Wartofsky. The
general critique of Piaget's application of dialectical logic by these
authors is that it doesn't stick closely enough to Hegel's formulation,
leading Piaget into inconsistencies.

Peter




On Tue, Dec 8, 2015 at 9:52 AM, Andy Blunden <ablunden@mira.net> wrote:

Do you have any evidence that Piaget studied Hegel?
andy
------------------------------------------------------------
*Andy Blunden*
http://home.pacific.net.au/~andy/
On 9/12/2015 1:30 AM, Peter Feigenbaum [Staff] wrote:

Andy,

What an amazing excerpt!  From this one passage alone I can see the
strong influence that Hegel had upon Piaget.

Thanks for bringing this section of The Subjective Spirit to attention.
It's chock-full of interesting thoughts.

Peter

On Mon, Dec 7, 2015 at 11:53 PM, Andy Blunden <ablunden@mira.net <mailto:
ablunden@mira.net>> wrote:


https://www.marxists.org/reference/archive/hegel/works/sp/suspirit.htm#SU455
     Andy
     ------------------------------------------------------------
     *Andy Blunden*
     http://home.pacific.net.au/~andy/
     <http://home.pacific.net.au/%7Eandy/>
     On 8/12/2015 3:47 PM, Annalisa Aguilar wrote:

         Hi Andy,


         Would you post a link reference to texts where
         Hegel discusses imagination?


         Thanks,


         Annalisa







--
Peter Feigenbaum, Ph.D.
Director,
Office of Institutional Research <
http://www.fordham.edu/academics/office_of_the_provos/office_of_institutio/index.asp
Fordham University
Thebaud Hall-202
Bronx, NY 10458

Phone: (718) 817-2243
Fax: (718) 817-3817
email: pfeigenbaum@fordham.edu <mailto:pfeigenbaum@fordham.edu>



--
Peter Feigenbaum, Ph.D.
Director,
Office of Institutional Research
<http://www.fordham.edu/academics/office_of_the_provos/office_of_institutio/index.asp>
Fordham University
Thebaud Hall-202
Bronx, NY 10458

Phone: (718) 817-2243
Fax: (718) 817-3817
email: pfeigenbaum@fordham.edu