All these things cannot be plotted on a single line.
Dropping in with a comment on the fly,
Vandy Wilkinson

n 2015/11/12 4:42, Glassman, Michael wrote:
Hi Rod

I have been rethinking the idea of Carnival in the context of swarm intelligence and the types of turns it can take, like how celebrations after sports events can turn very dark very quickly.  It is interesting that carnival in the United States often has very dark connotations.  There was recently an exploration by American Horror Story into this dark side of carnival  Almost always it is portrayed in very dark color.  The carnival barker is not a very good character.  Clowns really are scary.  Has anybody explore the two sides of carnival?

Michael

-----Original Message-----
From: xmca-l-bounces+mglassman=ehe.ohio-state.edu@mailman.ucsd.edu [mailto:xmca-l-bounces+mglassman=ehe.ohio-state.edu@mailman.ucsd.edu] On Behalf Of Rod Parker-Rees
Sent: Wednesday, November 11, 2015 2:33 PM
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity <xmca-l@mailman.ucsd.edu>
Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: Halloween, Yale and other complications

I have just been reading a lovely book by Barbara Ehrenreich - 'Dancing in the streets: a history of collective joy' which deals with the familiar arguments about the role of carnival as an opportunity to play with the rules and constraints of everyday life - a culturally important function for playfulness.

Rod