[Xmca-l] Re: Interesting to think about: the social springs of giving

Yes, indeed I am interested, Mike.
Critiquing the concept of "social capital" and developing an alternative concept of "social solidarity" and searching for a suitable unit of analysis was how I got started down the track I have been on ever since then, about 2003. What is the difference between community as in all people living in such and such town, and "real" community? Robert Putnam had assembled evidence that almost any collective activity fosters what he called "social capital." The problem was that he couldn't distinguish between the mafia taking root in a community and a community taking control of crime on its streets, etc. His classic "example" activity was the formation of choir groups, proven promoters of collective "wealth".