[Xmca-l] Dynamics of Developmental Change

I have been trying to think of a way to more concretely engage David's
developmental domainsxstages
table. One of David's stage margins is at 3 months and there is ample
reason for arguing for the existence a stage shift in development at this
time. (My wife and I wrote about it in just this way in our textbook).
However, there is also a lot of interesting, newer, evidence showing the
cultural-historical contingency of the changes that underpinned the
developmental literature for several decades.

I thought that perhaps this example, since it is pretty well worked out,
might help us get at the issues David raised. I believe this work could
usefully be related to notions of zopeds, but am not sure.

This rather long fragment is taken from a recent article that Martin and I
wrote.

mike

(For this one, not only Boesch but Waddington are apt: The latter having
written that every new level of development implies a new, relevant,
context.)

It is the dilemma of psychology to deal as a natural science with an
object that creates history. Ernst Boesch