[Xmca-l] Re: Objective and Subjective ZPDs

Of course we must distinguish, David, between between the environment and the neoformations (which are the opposites here) and the social situation of development to boot. Distinctions are necessary wherever there is a word. But the point is whether you have a concept of the unity, and if so whether you can make a beginning from that unity and proceed by means of differentiation. This is I believe, Vygotsky's method, which is in contrast to the approach which takes two concepts, each of them understood and defined independently of one another, and then *glues* them together. Vygotsky is very good at giving us concepts which are subject-objects; when we grasp these concepts, then we can grasp subjective and objective aspects of the whole. The whole is the social situation of development; the child's environment is just one aspect of the SSD cannot be meaningfully and completely described if it is taken as a starting point. The same goes for the psychological neoformation. An action is a unity of consciousness and behaviour, for example, and that is a starting point for us.

Ad. units of analysis. There is no implication that every unit is the same. Every molecule of H2O is identical but that is a peculiarity of the quantum world. A house is built of many different kinds of component, many of them bricks, and an organism is made up of many different kinds of cell, even though all these cells appeared by differentiation from originally a very simple organism.