[Xmca-l] Re: speed of political action

Indeed, Huw.
After the Operation had been cancelled and the Press Conference cancelled, the Union representing the "Border Force" was on the radio pleading for people to understand that the Border Force officers were just ordinary men and women who had gone to work in the Customs or Immigration Services and were not equipped to do this kind of work and would people please not treat them so badly. "Border Force" was created by the Abbott government soon after they got elected on a "Stop the Boats" slogan by amalgamating the Customs and Immigration services and putting them under an Army General, a transparent piece of militaristic posturing! Even Australian voters who can be easily fooled by this kind of charade have become tired by sabre rattling and "Commander in Chief" posturing which has gone on for 2 years now.