[Xmca-l] Re: Having an experience

No, no, Beth. As Dewey says:

   "This unity is neither emotional, practical, nor
   intellectual, for these terms name distinctions that
   reflection can make within it. In discourse//about//an
   experience, we must make use of these adjectives of
   interpretation. In going over an experience in
   mind//after/ /its occurrence, we may find that one
   property rather than another was sufficiently dominant
   so that it characterizes the experience as a whole."

Isn't this beautiful scientific prose! We make these distinction when we *reflect* on an experience. And perhaps we include the experience in our autobiography, act it out on the stage, analyse it scientifically, all of which presupposes analysis and synthesis. But it is important to recognise that the unity is prior. It is not only a unity of emotion and cognition (for example) but also of attention and will - and any other categories you abstract from an experience.