[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
[Xmca-l] Re: Fwd: Sternberg's 2015 reflections on his search for the nature of intelligence
- To: "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <email@example.com>
- Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: Fwd: Sternberg's 2015 reflections on his search for the nature of intelligence
- From: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Date: Mon, 18 May 2015 03:48:22 +0000
- In-reply-to: <CAHCnM0DfetKgM1E80qawmuOkHzbr0sd3RCmJ6bMoqUB6ZDj3_A@mail.gmail.com>
- List-archive: <https://mailman.ucsd.edu/mailman/private/xmca-l>
- List-help: <mailto:email@example.com?subject=help>
- List-id: "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <xmca-l.mailman.ucsd.edu>
- List-post: <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org>
- List-subscribe: <https://mailman.ucsd.edu/mailman/listinfo/xmca-l>, <mailto:email@example.com?subject=subscribe>
- List-unsubscribe: <https://mailman.ucsd.edu/mailman/listinfo/xmca-l>, <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org?subject=unsubscribe>
- References: <CAF1ZSDCCYD9yuONZnCUUgntEAP5jbbKJnWot78ZEVRSeKVg_Hw@mail.gmail.com>, <CAHCnM0DfetKgM1E80qawmuOkHzbr0sd3RCmJ6bMoqUB6ZDj3_A@mail.gmail.com>
- Reply-to: "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <email@example.com>
- Sender: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Robert's insight that people in different cultures have very different metaphors of mind and as a result they raised their children to be smart in terms of their own implicit theories of intelligence.
I would add that in various historical epochs people had very different metaphors of intelligence.
the search for intelligence “as” a zipperrump-a-zoo may be the misguided metaphor. the search may be more productive to look at another metaphor [the “field”] as the place where zipperrump-a-zoo's actually show up.
Sternberg concludes his look back with the advice;
“should you encounter anyone who believes he or she has found it [the zipperump-a-zoo]nand there are plenty of those IN THE FIELD of intelligence - my advice is: “Caveat emptor: Buyer beware”
The metaphors that carry the meaning of intelligence emerge within
this may be where to search for zipperump-a-zoo as a species.
Sent from Windows Mail
From: mike cole
Sent: Sunday, May 17, 2015 11:05 AM
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Concerning those questions about intelligence that were floating around
recently. Perhaps the attached will prove of intrest. I include Robert
---------- Forwarded message ----------
Dear colleagues, students and friends,
Please find attached a light-heartedly phrased but also insightful 2015
essay by Robert Sternberg
on the various approaches he has adopted over the years to research on the
nature of intelligence.
It reminded me of conversations I have had with many of you over the years !
I hope you enjoy it.
Robert Serpell PhD
Professor of Psychology, University of Zambia
Coordinator, Centre for the Promotion of Literacy in Sub-Saharan Africa
Psychology Department, School of Humanities & Social Sciences
Great East Road Campus
PO Box 32379, Lusaka, Zambia
Phone: (+260) 211 290850 (direct line to my office)
Cell (+260) 977 758705
CAPOLSA website - new link: http://bit.ly/16nNi50
All there is to thinking is seeing something noticeable which makes
you see something you weren't noticing which makes you see something
that isn't even visible. N. McLean, *A River Runs Through it*