From: xmca-l-bounces+vygotsky=unm.edu@mailman.ucsd.edu
[mailto:xmca-l-bounces+vygotsky=unm.edu@mailman.ucsd.edu] On Behalf Of
Annalisa Aguilar
Sent: Monday, April 27, 2015 11:28 AM
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: [Xmca-l] Aeon article - School of Failure

Hi Everyone,

This arrived in my in box today, thought I'd share:

http://aeon.co/magazine/society/how-african-americans-get-schooled-for-failu
re/<http://aeon.co/magazine/society/how-african-americans-get-schooled-for-f
ailure/?utm_source=Aeon+newsletter&utm_campaign=02111b1de0-Daily_newsletter_
April_274_27_2015&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_411a82e59d-02111b1de0-68662025

by D. Watkins

(4,000 words)

an excerpt:

'There's a myth floating around that education is white culture, books are
white culture,' said Eric Rice, an expert in urban education, when I went to
visit him at the Johns Hopkins University School of Education this year.
'But African Americans have a long history of wanting education. The South
had laws against teaching slaves to read, and people risked beatings and
death trying to learn to read during slavery. There has always been a huge
demand.'?

My apologies for list members on lchc for my double posting.

Kind regards,

Annalisa