Scott Atran is the best I have read on Foreign Fighters.
See also http://artisresearch.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/Atran-Sheikh-G%C3%B3mez-PNAS-3-Dec-2104.pdf and I completely agree with his conclusions as in the UN address. I read his approach as one step away from Activity Theory, coming from a completely different direction.
See https://www.academia.edu/11822578/Something_worth_dying_for

On 24/04/2015 10:40 AM, mike cole wrote:
This might prove of interest.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: *Scott Atran* <satran@umich.edu>
Date: Wednesday, April 22, 2015
Subject: Address to UN Security Council
To: COG-SCI-REL-L@jiscmail.ac.uk

Dear Colleagues,

Attached is my brief to the UN Security Council, which I will present at
the UN on Thursday to introduce a full ministerial debate on the Role of
Youth in Countering Violent Extremism.​

... Current  proposal in Congress to cut NSF social science funding by
nearly half are, just from a national security vantage, nuts, so I've given
NSF permission to use it in its lobbying.

Cheers, Scott Atran