[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
[Xmca-l] Re: Peter Smagorinsky's piece today for the Atlanta Journal Constitution
- To: "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <email@example.com>, CultureActivity eXtended Mind <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: Peter Smagorinsky's piece today for the Atlanta Journal Constitution
- From: Cathrene Connery <email@example.com>
- Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2015 16:08:20 +0000
- Accept-language: en-US
- Authentication-results: mailman.ucsd.edu; dkim=none (message not signed) header.d=none;
- In-reply-to: <CO1PR02MB1758D36AB357B49E20669BDA4ED0@CO1PR02MB175.namprd02.prod.outlook.com>
- List-archive: <https://mailman.ucsd.edu/mailman/private/xmca-l>
- List-help: <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org?subject=help>
- List-id: "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <xmca-l.mailman.ucsd.edu>
- List-post: <mailto:email@example.com>
- List-subscribe: <https://mailman.ucsd.edu/mailman/listinfo/xmca-l>, <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org?subject=subscribe>
- List-unsubscribe: <https://mailman.ucsd.edu/mailman/listinfo/xmca-l>, <mailto:email@example.com?subject=unsubscribe>
- References: <CAGivuck8hG3V+sXEW_cV45gnzjJYJ5CYJMnnQbN4De=1Kra8yA@mail.gmail.com>, <CO1PR02MB1758D36AB357B49E20669BDA4ED0@CO1PR02MB175.namprd02.prod.outlook.com>
- Reply-to: "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Sender: <email@example.com>
- Thread-index: AQHQfd6bQelr7poEM0m7awdlv3GZIp1awxw1
- Thread-topic: [Xmca-l] Re: Peter Smagorinsky's piece today for the Atlanta Journal Constitution
After a brutal winter, it is snowing here AGAIN in Ithaca. But, it must be a holiday to now have access to the Smagorinsky files listed below.
Many, many thanks!
From: firstname.lastname@example.org [email@example.com] on behalf of Peter Smagorinsky [firstname.lastname@example.org]
Sent: Thursday, April 23, 2015 11:57 AM
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity; CultureActivity eXtended Mind
Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: Peter Smagorinsky's piece today for the Atlanta Journal Constitution
Thanks so much Robert. FYI I began writing profiles of great teachers in Georgia, the state where both Robert and I live in the USA, a few years ago when I became discouraged by the constant negative attention that the media direct at public education. I actually wrote this one several weeks ago, but it got bumped back because the Atlanta Public Schools cheating scandal trial dominated the local news--so it serves as a counterpoint to the belief held by many in the public that all public school teachers out there are cheats and bums, and that we need charters, private school vouchers, etc., to save us from the decline of civilization (US civilization that is).
The whole series is at http://smago.coe.uga.edu/vita/vitaweb.htm#OpEd along with the other public writing I've done on education, teaching, policy, etc., mostly for the Atlanta Journal-Constitution but other outlets as well. I encourage anyone out there who finds the discursive climate of education to be depressing to write counter-narratives of your own to help demonstrate what great teaching looks like and how great teachers manage to do it in spite of limitations on their work instituted by policymakers. I'm fortunate to live in a state where the main newspaper has a prominent education blog, but there should be outlets everywhere for publishing more positive narratives about school.
From: email@example.com [mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org] On Behalf Of Robert Lake
Sent: Thursday, April 23, 2015 11:40 AM
To: CultureActivity eXtended Mind; eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: [Xmca-l] Peter Smagorinsky's piece today for the Atlanta Journal Constitution
Peter Smagorinsky wrote a fabulous piece about an extraordinary 3rd grade teacher in today's* Atlanta Journal-Constitution*, that is certainly relevant to XCMA readers .
Smagorinsky, P. (2015, April 23). A teacher who understands third graders need play, joy and calm to learn. *Atlanta Journal-Constitution*. Available at http://getschooled.blog.ajc.com/2015/04/23/a-teacher-who-understands-third-graders-need-play-joy-and-calm-to-learn/
Robert Lake Ed.D.
Social Foundations of Education
Dept. of Curriculum, Foundations, and Reading Georgia Southern University
Secretary/Treasurer-AERA- Paulo Freire Special Interest Group P. O. Box 8144
Phone: (912) 478-0355
Fax: (912) 478-5382
Statesboro, GA 30460
*He not busy being born is busy dying.*
Bob Dylan (1964).