[Xmca-l] Re: Opt-out movement

The teachers I work with in NY are highly critical of standardized testing and are theoretically in favor of new opting-out legislation but are also worried that in practice parents of more privileged students, who tend score better on high-stakes testing, are more likely to opt-out than parents from underserved homes. If the case this would provide unfair evaluations of teachers' "effectiveness" - it seems that many of these teaches are in something of a double bind.
peace,
Michael Lachney

On 2015-03-30 00:48, Peter Farruggio wrote:
Yes, it's still unsafe for teachers to boycott the tests in most
places, although the local teachers union in Seattle coordinated such
an action last year. But the opt out movement is led by parents,
certainly with teachers supporting it in the background, and it has
blossomed this testing season. Certain administrators have been using
bullying tactics, including outright violations of parents' rights;
but the resistance to incessant testing will continue to grow as
parents organize and coordinate their actions nationwide. Education is
and always has been political, and the politics have become harsher
with the neoliberal push to privatize schools and everything else.

Teachers can and must play a role in defending democratic education,
and that means helping to stop the testing madness. The best thing
they can do at this point is to find ways to educate parents about
what is at stake and how to exercise their parental rights. If that
means conducting clandestine informational meetings in church
basements, so be it.

See below

http://unitedoptout.com/

http://www.substancenews.net/articles.php?page=5528&section=Article

http://fairtest.org/get-involved/opting-out

Pete Farruggio, PhD
Associate Professor, Bilingual Education
University of Texas Pan American