[Xmca-l] Re: Crises and stages/ages

I have many times experienced a fellow worker with no special talent, once elected as a shop steward, in a short space of time, become a competent leader. Equally, I have seen many newly appointed managers make exceptions to Peter's Principle and suddenly respond to the new way they are treated by their once-fellow workers, and take on a professional leadership role. Often, the reverse happens, but we all see these as some kind of failure of development, a mismatch.
I don't see the problem, Huw. :)

Huw Lloyd wrote:
Sure, but those transitions, in themselves, do not necessarily implicate a
change in the structuring of consciousness, cognition or manner of
activity.  That's particularly so of changes in the roles and
responsibilities of adults.  Once one is sufficiently adapted to one's
environment, it takes deliberate intention to change one's mode of
conduct.  Hence Simon's referencing the capacity for adaptation.

Huw