[Xmca-l] Re: Why Computers Make So Little Difference

So true, Huw!
I think it deserves some reflection among CHAT theorists who take an interest in cultural development that when a non-literate community comes into contact with "civilisation" they actually meet two different things for the first time. (1) They come into contact with *civilisation*, a.k.a. institutions which have developed culture with the aid of the written word, and the interaction between the written word and technique, and the immensely productive spiral of development which has given us Mozart, Beethoven, Darwin, Einstein, and Harpo Marx. That is dialectical logic. (2) They come into contact with *bureaucracy*, which in its mission to manage the collective lives of very large numbers of people, has utilised the written word to break down the true concepts created by the culture into neat little pigeon holes for filing away, and is dedicated to inculcating the minds of our children into thinking in terms of taxonomy, rather than true concepts. That is formal logic.

I think there is a lot of confusion between civilisation and bureaucracy, and consequently between true concepts (which nonliterate people have, albeit within a limited scope of experience) and pseudoconcepts (which are the great love of bureaucracy, the commercial world and positivist science.)

Huw Lloyd wrote:

The impression that I have of our collectively western society is that it
is utterly swamped in formal logic and its mode of operation.  Our schools
and universities are probably the worst of all in this regard, such that
even raising the notion of schooling based upon creative understanding
seems to bewilder people (and small wonder that innovators in logic were
also technical innovators, because it is necessary to create and design in
order to learn how to think).