[Xmca-l] Re: Erratic Marxists

Thanks Morten.
Probably the most important virtues at the moment for someone in Varoufakis's position are honesty and frankness. I really appreciate these qualities in him. All he can do at the moment is play for time while looking to the European workers to come to the aid of Greece. It is a political task, rather than a problem of economics.
Let us all wish them well!

Morten Nissen wrote:
Dear xmca

It is few who realize how central are the Greek and Spanish oppositions to European austerity politics for any hope for a change that might halt the glide toward increasing inequality and nationalist reactions. So, Varoufakis is my hero - even if some of his statements may be debatable. To me, he is one of those laudable economists who are able to look beyond economic formulae, like Piketty.

He is brave in taking up Marx, no small thing for an economist. And he is right in his critique of Marx, too, if we read his text looking for truth rather than correctness. Marx did in fact sometimes substitute polemics for dialectics, and scold opponents for being wrong rather than engage in immanent critique. And behind this it does make sense to point to Marx' neglecting to address subjectivity in the epistemological sense, as the issue of we who think and act (instead taken up by Kierkegaard, Heidegger, Sartre, and later the poststructuralists). This is what has weakened the left most: Rather than trying to reflect and understand how we constitute ourselves as "us" (the revolutionary Party, the State, the Theory, etc.), we have split up and pointed fingers at each other for being wrong.
Varoufakis' arguments for a liberal pluralism (and "erratic readings") combined with a collective social responsibility for not just a radical change, but also for how it may come about, are important truths, even if we can find a few unimportant incorrectnesses.

Morten Nissen
PhD, Dr. Psych.
Professor
Department of Education Aarhus University Tuborgvej 164
2400 Copenhagen NV

Tlf: +45 30282418
www.edu.au.dk/