[Xmca-l] Re: Nissen on working with youth

In Nissen's theory a collective is a project, not something imagined. A project does entail a figured world a la Dot Holland, but a figured world lacks a collective motive which unites the collective. A figured world is just a field of individual competition for rewards.

Larry Purss wrote:
This thread is focusing on Nissen's work as presented in the two articles
attached.

I would like to return to the "journal of Dialogic Pedagogy" article on
page A25.

He describes his concept of *"collective" *as a term which brings together
meaning and sense.
He writes,

"I suggest the concept of *collective* as a kind of *subject*.  A community
whose singular existence is no longer accidental, nor simply a function of
a shared project, but self-constituted and self-conscious, mediated by its
precarious relations to other subjects - including, importantly,
participants - as these relations are formed *in and with* cultural
standards under singular circumstances.  Recognizing itself as recognized
by these others.  In the terms of Hegel's dialectics, it is a singular "we"
that exists *in and for itself *as an "us".  The implication is that
empowerment involves recognition as participant of recognized
collectives."

I would suggest that Nissen's concept "collective" may be considered a
"figural world" that in being seen "as such" becomes that which is
imagined.

Another central concept that Nissen uses is "prototypical" as indicating
the way or approach of modelling practises as "embodying" concrete
universals.  Another world with similar quality would be "incarnating"
concrete universals. Nissen is suggesting Freire's work on
"conscientization" can be used as a "prototypical model" and in this way
can be transported to other places and times such as Copenhagen and working
with youth on the streets.
Nissen is asking how concepts such as "collectives" and "prototypical" can
be related to different traditions that carry what seem like different
meanings but may potentially share a common sense. [theme]

For example he asks,

"How did *conscientization* develop from Christian *conscience* and
Enlightenment *consciousness*, and how did it later transform into a
psychologized empowerment?" This question is addressed as this movement is
explored in the article.

Prototypical concrete universals are *theoretical, but they do not easily
translate* to an immediate common sense. They must be mediated within
*collectives* and therefore do not lend themselves to simple and
reductionist standardized concepts. [such as in dictionaries].
To understand prototypical concepts we need time and effort to first take
the prototypes seriously, in their own right, and then time and effort [as
models] to make them relevant as they are translated across space and time.

I hope I have done justice to Morten Nissen's understanding of the concepts
"collectives" and "prototypes" which found insightful and I hope to explore
further. I would recommend reading the two articles. He has thought deeply
on these "themes"