[Xmca-l] Engels on Laws of evolution and laws of history

"Speak to history" could mean anything to me, Jessica. There are two very definite statements being made here which have been mixed up in translation. I'd now like to figure out when the meaning got changed. I am assuming that the English translation on p. 517 of v. 25 of MECW is a good translation of the original German, because this version is very reliable. It says: "The eternal laws of nature also become transformed more and more into historical ones" going on as David Ke noted to talk simply about the *variability* of all "laws of nature" as opposed to *eternal laws of nature.* That's all.- nothing about human history or it's supposed "laws". Hegel never talked of "laws of history", regarding them as belonging to "appearance" and he was in agreement with Kant on that point. Marx never talked of "laws of history" either, talking only of what has happened in the past and the possibilities pregnant in the present. Stalin did talk about "laws of history". In "Dialectical and Historical Materialism" (1938) he talks repeatedly about "laws of history" and what's more the Party knows them, so watch out, and he is always citing Marx and Hegel to prove his point. So we have in the English translation of "History of the Development of the Higher Mental Functions" the epigram: "More and more eternal laws of nature are turning into laws of history. - F. Engels" and the editors tell us in a footnote that this comes from the "Russian Marx-Engels CW, v. 20, p. 553," which actually says:

/Вечные законы природы /также превращаются все более и более в исторические законы.

for which MicroSoft translator gives me: "/Eternal laws of nature/ also are converted ever more and more into historical laws," which to me is *ambiguous*. What are "historical laws"? Are they changeable laws or laws of change?

David Ke: what does the epigram say in the Russian edition of HDHMF?
Mike C or Natalia G: can you make an unambiguous translation of that Russian from the Russian MECW?

My interest is only this: did the translators of LSV's Collected works mess up the translation of the epigram, or did Vygotsky read a distorted translation in his copy of "Dialectics of Nature" in Russian translation?

Does it mean thaqt nothing remains constant, or that everything depends on conditions... which does surely speak to history.