[Xmca-l] Re: Laws of evolution and laws of history

And I found the Engels he was quoting, in the Russian translation:

   /Вечные законы природы /также превращаются все более и более в
   исторические законы.

The English translation says:

   The eternal laws of nature also become transformed more and more
   into historical ones.

but then it goes on to say:

   That water is fluid from 0°-100° C. is an eternal law of nature, but
   for it to be valid, there must be (1) water, (2) the given
   temperature, (3) normal pressure.

So this does NOT mean what it appeared to mean. Engels simply means "nothing remains constant" It is not saying anything about "laws of history"!!

mike cole wrote:
Thanks David -- That is certainly where I must have encountered the phrase
often enough for it to stick in my mind. And thanks to Jessica and Andy we
see versions of the idea in many places.

Double the pleasure.
mike

On Tue, Jan 13, 2015 at 11:36 PM, David Kellogg <dkellogg60@gmail.com>