[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

[Xmca-l] Re: What is a Pedagogy of the Oppressors?



Hi Annalisa,

In a caring way, I want to point out to you that in your comments
you  make personal remarks about my motivation.
You are wrong when you say that "the story of Aryan conquest is so 
important to me." It is not something I care about, one way or another.
 I could just as well say "I am sorry that debunking the story is so important to you." 

Also, while David Frawley is a Vedic Scholar, he is not a linguist, an archaeologist,
or a genetic anthropologist. 

I appreciate your drawing my attention to the heated controversy over the
story of the Aryan invasion of India. It is simply that I do not think that
the issue has been resolved. I think that in the future geno-anthropological 
data will be decisive in determining if there were major migrations into
India from the West that coincide with the appearance of Sanskrit texts.

To all XMCARs, it is important that we can disagree, even if someone is offended, 
as long as our intention is not to antagonize each other but to gain understanding.

And, let me tie this directly to the Pedagogy of Oppression. The Pedagogy of Oppression
could become a witch hunt that various groups use to 'fire up the base' and attack others. 
Once you open this Pandora's box, seemingly homogenous groups (based on race, gender, , ethnicity, age, religion, or ideology) start to fight among themselves as the group fractures along the lines of race, gender, ethnicity, age, religion, and ideology. This is happening now 
in the Islamic world.





> From: annalisa@unm.edu
> To: xmca-l@mailman.ucsd.edu
> Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2015 02:17:09 +0000
> Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: What is a Pedagogy of the Oppressors?
> 
> Hi Francine,
> 
> If you are saying I'm harassing you it was not my intention. 
> 
> I am passing on information, that is all. 
> 
> >From what've I read, the linguistic argument is no longer holding water, that the archeological findings show a different story. Even the Vedas themselves discuss astrological events that place them long before 2000 BC. I'm just passing on what I read from the article. David Frawley is a respected Vedic scholar, so I'm going to rely on his data and conclusions.
> 
> No one denies that Sanskrit is linked to European languages. So I'm a bit confused about that.
> 
> As far as grasslands, there are as many different kinds of terrain in India as in Africa, or The Americas, Australia, or China, even Europe isn't considered a monoculture.
> 
> Here:
> http://everydaylife.globalpost.com/grassland-ecosystem-india-33833.html
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Grasslands_of_India
> 
> Further, I don't find discussing any topic necessarily taboo, but it is nice to discuss what is factual, and that is my only reason to bring it up. I was sharing with you that the story may be offensive to some people so that you are aware of that because you might not know. 
> 
> I'm sorry that this story of Aryan conquest is so important to you, however I think it's important to understand that is it no longer supportable, at least is it looking this way. 
> 
> You are always free to decide for yourself.
> 
> Annalisa
>