[Xmca-l] Re: What is a Pedagogy of the Oppressors?

The quote is of course a translation. Marx wrote in German. In any case, the 19th century concept of "man" which he references, was used also without qualification by the great feminist, and English-speaking contemporary of Marx, Mary Wollstonecraft. The discovery of the oppressive function of gendered language was a gain of Second Wave feminism of the 1960s of which we are all the beneficiaries.

Annalisa Aguilar wrote:
Hi Andy!

With regard to this:

 "The materialist doctrine that men are products of circumstances and
    upbringing, and that, therefore, changed men are products of changed
    circumstances and changed upbringing, forgets that it is men who
    change circumstances and that the educator must himself be educated.
    Hence this doctrine is bound to divide society into two parts, one
    of which is superior to society. The coincidence of the changing of
    circumstances and of human activity or self-change can be conceived
    and rationally understood only as **revolutionary practice**."

First I'd ask, what about the women? Where are they in this scheme?

Second, does this education that Marx considers (educating the educated) concern the care of others? Where is the feeling? How is compassion taught? What is the view on the pain of others? How is that "rationally understood"?

Third, revolution frequently is bloody. How does Marx answer for that? Or is that just an inconvenience?

Also, I'm not certain how this defines the pedagogy of the oppressor. It certainly identifies a need for "re-education," but what IS the education that the educator must let go?

Kind regards,

Annalisa