[Xmca-l] Re: no primitive language?

Thanks, Carol. :)
I am OK from here then.
Much appreciated.

Carol Macdonald wrote:
Syntax, semantics. pragmatics, phonology, discourse orientation: they just give their own version of these aspects.

On 27 December 2014 at 12:10, Andy Blunden <ablunden@mira.net <mailto:ablunden@mira.net>> wrote:

    Thanks, Carol.
    Can those "key characteristics" be given in a few lines?

    Carol Macdonald wrote:

        Andy

        It's true.  Languages all share key characteristics.

        Carol

        On 27 December 2014 at 12:02, Andy Blunden <ablunden@mira.net
        <mailto:ablunden@mira.net> <mailto:ablunden@mira.net
        <mailto:ablunden@mira.net>>> wrote:

            I have heard, and I believe it to be the case, that there
        is no
            such thing as a "primitive language."
            I am not talking about the "language" of children raised in
            isolation, or the "home sign" of deaf children, I mean
        among the
            languages of actual historical peoples.
            I would just appreciate that if this is wrong, could
        someone on
            this list who knows about this kind of thing disabuse me.
            Otherwise I will assume this to be factual.

            Thanks
            Andy

-- Carol A Macdonald Ph D (Edin)
        Developmental psycholinguist
        Academic, Researcher,  and Editor Honorary Research Fellow:
        Department of Linguistics, Unisa