[Xmca-l] Re: Not too long and not too short

I use the concept of a group of people talking together in the same room as a germ-cell and unit of analysis for analysing organisations and broad social and political processes, so it seemed it might useful to think about it here. I'd describe my stance like that of a group of students or researchers all studying at their own desk in a hall, and every so often someone has a question, and calls it out and people call back answers. I agree with not-broken-don't-fix-it and I agree that rules and rulers are not for us. I also find xmca to be way out in front of all comparators in terms of intellectual depth and mutual respect. But I think if we were all aware of how each of us see participation in xmca it would help us to act accordingly. So, for example, if I happened into a study hall and witnessed people occasionally calling out and answering questions or occasionally sharing discoveries or news, I would try to figure out what the shared interest was and I would tend to stick to the Q&A&News modes myself.

Peg Griffin wrote:
Other candidates for options:
a MOOC -- including suggestions about participation in terms of comfort with
certain pre-req readings (of published articles/books and often some package
of prior curated XMCA post sequences)
a tourist stop shared coffee break  -- with noticings, questioning,
questing, promoting, guessing, opining regardless of ordinary conventions of
academic discourse
Someone had never heard of a modeling (maybe mapping) between on line and
f-t-f events?  One of the earliest I ever saw (in the early 80's I think)
was a Japanese on-line group TEFL structured with, of course, Japanese
physical space referencing as well as rhetorical-discourse-genre units,
sensibilities, and customs.

Maybe thinking about non-on-line would bring XMCA face to face with its
cultural diversity.

A quirk in the occupy type general meeting is the omission of loudspeakers
and replacement by people repeating back what was said.  Would an on-line
mapping of that occur and give folks the responsibility to write the "Re:"
before responding could be an interesting sporadic innovation replacing the
long message history tail?  Maybe a once a week or once a month exercise of
it would be tolerable/fun/instructive? PG